Nikon D3100 with 18-105mm lens
New DX-format CMOS image sensor and EXPEED 2 image-processing engine, both developed by Nikon, enable capture of high-definition images with superior image quality
The D3100 is equipped with a new Nikon DX-format CMOS image sensor and a new image-processing engine, EXPEED 2, both developed by Nikon. The CMOS image sensor offers an effective pixel count of 14.2-million pixels and enables capture of high-definition images exhibiting superior image quality with extremely detailed rendering and rich tones. The D3100 also makes the most of its standard sensitivity settings up to ISO 3200 with additional increases up to Hi 2 (ISO 12800 equivalent), for shooting in dim lighting such as in the evening or indoors, as well as rapidly moving subjects such as sports scenes.
EXPEED 2 is Nikon's latest image-processing engine, developed by refining the concepts, know-how and technologies for digital images that Nikon has spent years cultivating. It maximizes the performance of the CMOS image sensor to suppress noise in still images and movies, and produces images that faithfully reproduce vivid colours.
A refined Guide Mode that's even easier to use
The Guide Mode on the D3100 makes most camera operations even easier, from shooting to image playback and editing to the application of camera settings, regardless of the user's skill level.
The D3100 displays assist images that show the effect of various camera settings, giving users an idea of the results they can expect with specified settings. For example, when "Soften backgrounds" is selected and an aperture value is specified, the assist image displayed in the monitor changes to show the effect that aperture setting will have on images. This allows users to confirm that images will appear as they intended prior to shooting and reduces the number of unsuccessful shots.
Other new functions built into Guide mode
1. Selection from three shooting techniques: "Use the viewfinder," "Use Live View," and "Shoot movies"
2. "Bring more into focus" and "Show water flowing" options have been added to the "Advanced operation" menu for shooting
3. "Movie settings," "HDMI," "Flicker reduction" and "Eye-Fi upload"* options have been added to the "Set Up" menu for applying basic camera settings
* Only available when compatible Eye-Fi memory card is inserted
Live View Mode allows users to easily frame still images or movies using the camera's monitor
By simply rotating the Live View switch, the view through the lens is displayed in the monitor, enabling immediate live view recording. This makes taking pictures feel more like shooting with a compact digital camera, easing the transition to digital SLR for beginners. In addition, various information such as the shooting mode, time remaining (movie mode) and battery indicator, can be shown in the live view display.
D-Movie for recording and editing full-HD movies and AF-F (full-time servo AF) focus mode for movie recording
The D3100 is equipped with D-Movie function that enables recording of high-definition movies by simply pressing the dedicated movie-record button. Movies can be recorded with the same aperture and other settings applied in Guide Mode, and movies take full advantage of the characteristics of individual interchangeable lenses, whether wide-angle, telephoto or fisheye. Additionally, the camera offers an AF-F (full-time servo AF) focus mode for movie recording. When AF-F mode is enabled, the camera focuses continuously during movie recording without the need to hold the shutter-release button. The D3100 also offers in-camera movie editing functions that allow users to save a single frame as a still image or delete unnecessary portions from the beginning or end of movie files.
Scene auto selector built in
The D3100 is equipped with the scene auto selector function. When Live View Mode is enabled in Auto or Auto (flash off) mode, the camera automatically analyzes the scene and selects the appropriate shooting mode from Portrait, Landscape, Close up or Night portrait.* This function allows users achieve the intended images with the camera choosing all settings.
* Scene auto selector is disabled with manual focusing
- Equipped with a face detection function capable of detecting up to 35 human faces
- Dedicated movie-record button and release-mode selector
- Equipped with a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) bus that enables remote control playback of images and movies recorded with the camera when the camera is connected to a high-definition TV
- Equipped with a new exposure compensation algorithm for greater flexibility and performance with NEF (RAW) processing
- The new ViewNX 2 software is bundled with the D3100
- 14.2 Megapixel DX-format CMOS Image Sensor delivers beautiful photographs and prints well beyond 20 x 30 inches
- Full 1080p HD Cinematic Video with full-time autofocus and sound lets you record cinematic-quality movies in full 1080p HD format (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- Compact and Lightweight Design -- beautifully styled & ready to go, wherever life takes you
- Easy-To-Use—Featuring Nikon’s Guide Mode with intuitive controls and on-board assistance helping you take better pictures every step of the way
- Split-second Shutter Response eliminates the frustration of shutter delay, capturing moments that other cameras miss
- Fast 11-point AutoFocus System delivers razor-sharp pictures
- ISO sensitivity 100-3200 expandable to ISO 12800 equivalent delivers exceptional results, even in the most challenging low-light situations
- 3" monitor with one-touch Live View shooting and movie capture
- Scene Auto Selector lets the D3100 decide the best mode to match the shooting situation when using Live View
- EXPEED 2 - Nikon’s new image processing engine assures breathtakingly rich image quality, managing colour, contrast, exposure, noise and speed
- Scene Recognition System in Live View automatically optimizes exposure, autofocus, and white balance, allowing you to obtain beautiful photos without the hassle of making complicated camera adjustments yourself
- 6 Automatic Exposure Scene Modes - Just set the Mode dial to Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close-up or Night Portrait for stunning results in otherwise challenging conditions
- Active D-Lighting
- Picture Control
- Automatic Image Sensor Cleaning
- Built-in pop-up flash
- In-camera Image Editing