Canon PowerShot SX240 HS Black
The fact that the PowerShot SX240 HS digital camera is an ultra-slim camera with a powerful 20x Optical Zoom, Optical Image Stabilization and 25mm Wide-Angle lens is only the beginning of its attractions. You'll see detail you never thought possible through the huge zoom and wide-angle lens, while the camera's 12.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor deliver the rich, clear low-light performance that is the hallmark of Canon's HS SYSTEM. 1080p Full HD video in stereo is more beautiful than ever, with new high-resolution, high-speed processing. Sophisticated advancements include improved Smart AUTO that optimizes settings for 58 predefined shooting situations and Face ID that prioritizes pre-registered faces.
- Canon's powerful 20x Optical Zoom and 25mm Wide-Angle lens with Optical Image Stabilization delivers stunning images from up close or at a distance.
- A 12.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the DIGIC 5 Image Processor creates Canon's HS SYSTEM for outstanding low-light performance.
- Shoot beautiful 1080p Full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output.
- Improved Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper camera settings based on 58 predefined shooting situations and the new Face ID function adjusts focus and exposure priority based on pre-registered faces.
- Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition.
- High-Speed Burst HQ allows for continuous capture at a maximum of 10 frames* while maintaining superb image quality and Super Slow Motion movie records video at high speeds to allow playback in slow motion.
- Improved Movie Digest records a short 720p HD video clip right before shooting a photo and then combines one day's worth of clips into one video.
Ultra-slim Camera with powerful 20x Optical Zoom, Optical Image Stabilization and 25mm Wide-Angle Lens
At just over 1 1/4 inches thick, the PowerShot SX240 HS is an ultra-slim digital camera with a powerful 20x Optical Zoom. But because its lens embodies the quality and legacy of Genuine Canon Optics, its advantages go far beyond making the camera slim enough to slip in your pocket and carry anywhere. With a range of 25mm — 500mm (35mm equivalent), the lens gives you the power to capture the full breadth of scenes, with details you've never captured before. Images are bright and vivid with spectacular clarity thanks to Optical Image Stabilization.
Optical Image Stabilizer
Handheld shooting can often lead to camera shake, making photos and videos blurry. Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer is a sophisticated system that uses lens-shift technology to correct for unwanted camera movement. It makes handheld photography more practical, providing excellent image quality in many difficult shooting situations: outdoors at dusk, inside without a flash, and even at the telephoto end of the zoom range without a tripod. For photos, it enables shooting at slower shutter speeds, accommodating more low-light shooting situations than ever before without having to boost ISO sensitivity. With camera shake and vibration reduced, you get a sharper, steadier image. And because it is an optical system, there is none of the image degradation typical with electronic image stabilizers.
UA Lens Technology
Pioneered by Canon, UA Lens technology makes possible compact lenses with remarkable optical performance. By using molded glass with an ultra-high refractive index in aspherical lens elements, Canon has succeeded in reducing lens size while significantly reducing image aberrations. Another stellar example of cutting-edge Canon optics, UA Lens technology helps make PowerShot digital cameras pocket-friendly and capable of astounding image quality.
Experience the Power.
Canon HS SYSTEM
The Canon HS SYSTEM lets you take bright, clear photos in an even wider range of shooting situations. Beautiful low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlight and shadow areas. The system is the result of two technologies brought together in PowerShot cameras: a high-sensitivity imaging sensor, which is able to capture more light; and the DIGIC 5 Image Processor, which actively reduces noise with high-speed image processing. The 12.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS sensor in the PowerShot SX240 HS incorporates advanced light reception technology that enhances sensitivity. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor provides a major boost in noise reduction, expanding the usable ISO range to an amazing high of ISO 3200. The Canon HS SYSTEM thus lets you use higher shutter speeds to capture clearer images with reduced noise and blur.
Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor
The latest-generation Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor brings phenomenal increases in processing speed and power. Improved chip architecture and algorithms deliver greatly expanded functionality with further refinement in image quality. Improved noise reduction produces clearer images when shooting in low light at high ISO speeds. Enhanced i-Contrast performance adjusts differences between light and dark areas to achieve even more natural-looking results. The faster processing speed also results in faster continuous shooting capability while maintaining full image quality. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor also makes possible a new, highly advanced automatic white balance system. Whereas conventional white balance makes an overall adjustment based on a single type of light source, the new Canon Multi-Area White Balance analyzes several areas of the image to determine whether different adjustments are needed, for example, for the main subject and the background.
Memorable Moments in Spectacular Full HD
Canon Full HD Video Advantage
In addition to the Canon HS SYSTEM, the combination of the advanced CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor in the PowerShot SX240 HS makes it possible to shoot crisp, clear high definition video. Imagine the fun and excitement of being able to shoot spectacular 1080p Full HD video with stereo sound that you can later watch on your HDTV or download to your computer to share with family and friends. In addition to being able to shoot Full HD 1080p video at 24* frames per second, the PowerShot SX240 HS can also shoot 720p HD video at 30** frames per second.
Dedicated Movie Button, Wind filter feature and Optical Zoom for easy video capture
It's never been easier to shoot videos with a PowerShot digital camera. The PowerShot SX240 HS has a dedicated movie button that lets you start and stop recording instantly. There is no need to go through layers of menus or operate switches or dials to switch to and from video recording mode. The camera is always ready to shoot stills or video whenever you want. The PowerShot SX240 HS also incorporates an electronic wind filter, which suppresses wind noise that can muffle or distort the sound. And unlike less sophisticated point-and-shoot cameras, the PowerShot SX240 HS lets you use the full range of optical zoom when you're shooting a video.
HDTV playback via HDMI output and CEC
It's easy to enjoy and share the videos you shoot with the PowerShot SX240 HS. Simply connect its HDMI terminal to your HDTV using an HDMI cable. And because the PowerShot SX240 HS supports HDMI-CEC technology, you'll be able to control the playback of your images and videos on any CEC-enabled HDTV using the TV's remote control. (CEC - Consumer Electronic Control - is part of the HDMI specification, enabling components in a system to communicate with one another.)
With the PowerShot SX240 HS, you can also shoot video in the Apple® iFrame format, which is a computer-friendly standard that speeds up importing and editing of videos. It keeps file sizes small, making it more convenient to upload or e-mail high-quality videos. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, making it unnecessary to perform time-consuming and often quality-degrading conversions.
A Smarter Camera Means Better Photos and Videos.
Smart AUTO for the PowerShot SX240 HS has been significantly expanded, making it easier than ever to capture the sharp, bright, colourful images – and videos – you’re looking for. By assessing various factors in both the background and the subject, the system recognizes 58 predefined shooting situations and automatically selects the camera settings that will yield the best possible results. Simply frame the shot you want, and in dozens of common or challenging scenarios the camera takes care of the rest. Hard-to-capture shots such as moving subjects, night scenes, backlit subjects, and landscapes at evening or on a bright snowy day are instantly and effortlessly captured as ?keeper? shots. Smart AUTO makes the PowerShot SX240 HS ideal for capturing excellent quality still images and video on the go.
Shooting Modes/Special Scene Modes
- Manual You have complete control of exposure, selecting both aperture and shutter speed manually.
- Aperture-priority You set the aperture, controlling depth-of-field. The camera automatically selects the shutter speed.
- Shutter-priority You select the shutter speed, and the camera automatically selects the appropriate aperture.
- Program The camera automatically and intelligently selects the aperture/shutter speed combination based on the shooting conditions.
- Live View Control Enables Brightness, Color, and Tone adjustments to your images using easy-to-understand controls.
- Smart AUTO The camera automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on subjects and environmental factors to provide point-and-shoot simplicity.
- Easy In Easy mode, shooting is simple and relaxed?the camera handles all the settings automatically.
- Movie Digest in 720p HD Records a video clip in 720p HD before capturing a still image and then combines one day’s worth of clips into a video.
- Portrait Brings the subject into focus while beautifully blurring the background.
- Smooth Skin Removes dullness, wrinkles, and harsh shadows for beautiful faces.
- Smart Shutter The camera automatically takes the photo when people smile, wink, or get into frame.
- High-Speed Burst HQ Captures fast-action shots at full resolution, providing continuous shooting when the shutter button is held down.
- Handheld Night Scene Take clear and steady pictures at night without the use of a tripod.
- Low Light For high quality image capture in an amazing range of dimly lit situations.
- Underwater Capture underwater images with reduced backscatter effect. Optional Underwater Case required.
- Snow Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects or an unnatural bluish tint.
- Fireworks Create brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks.
- Stitch Assist Easy-to-use guidelines simplify the shooting of aligned multiple frames that can later be combined (using bundled software) to create panoramic photos.
- Creative Filters This setting provides easy access to special filter effects and scene modes, such as Toy Camera Effect, Poster Effect, Monochrome and more.
- Fisheye Effect Now you can get the fisheye effect — a classic photographic distortion — without a fisheye lens.
- Miniature Effect for Stills & Video Give images and video a miniature look with an effect that emphasizes perspective by blurring the top and bottom of the image.
- Toy Camera Effect Simulates photos taken with “toy” or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effect.
- Monochrome Choose from three single-tone effects: Black-and-White, Sepia, or Blue.
- Soft Focus Creates a hazy ambiance that’s perfect for portraits and wedding photos.<
- Super Vivid Super Vivid intensifies existing hues, saturating the scene with bright colours.
- Poster Effect Poster Effect combines several similar shades into one colour, turning subtle gradations into eye-catching, scene-popping contrasts.
- Colour Accent Choose to retain a single colour in your image while other colours turn monochrome.
- Colour Swap Select a colour and replace it with a colour you specify for special effects.
- Discreet Mode Disables flash, AF assist beam, and all camera sounds with one mode dial setting–so you can capture images in quiet areas.
- iFrame Movie The Apple® movie format, iFrame, makes it easier and quicker to import and upload videos while retaining high image quality.
- Super Slow Motion Movie Record your clips in high speed (approx. 240 fps), and then watch your videos in slow motion.
Face ID is one of the most advanced and exciting new features of the PowerShot SX240 HS, giving you an easy way to improve every shot of the people you love. Simply take a picture of up to 12 faces you would like the camera to register, then enter names and ages. Once a person is registered, the camera will pick him or her out of a group (even against a busy background) and adjust focus and exposure to his or her face, even recognizing faces in profile. Face ID is particularly great for shots of babies and children. The system can pick your baby out of a group of children, focus on your baby when pictured with an adult, and capture her best smile by taking three successive images when the smile is detected. The flash is even disabled so as not to startle the baby and interrupt the moment. Older children in motion are tracked, with focus and exposure continually adjusted with Servo AF; with one shutter press three successive images are captured so the best shot is never missed. And because you?ll identify each face you register, Face ID makes it easy to search images by name.
A Steady Image Is a Beautiful Image.
The latest advance in Canon Optical Image Stabilization technology, Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system automatically selects among Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects among Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make the most effective IS settings to assure the steadiest possible image. Normal Corrects for a wide range of camera movement when shooting stills.
- Panning Panning motion is detected so that IS does not interfere with desired camera movement.
- Macro (Hybrid) Corrects for shift-type camera shake, which typically occurs in macro (close-up) shooting.
- Dynamic Effective for video shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, eliminating the unwanted shaking that typically occurs while walking.
- Powered Compensates for hand movement when shooting video at the telephoto end of the zoom range, where camera shake is magnified.
- Tripod When tripod use is detected, the Image Stabilizer is stopped because it is not needed.
Versatile Still and Video Shooting Options.
High-Speed Burst HQ
Utilizing the increased processing speed and power of the new Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor, High-Speed Burst HQ makes it possible to capture fast action stills at full resolution during continuous shooting. The results are exceptionally high-quality images recorded in rapid sequence. In this mode, the PowerShot SX240 HS can capture a maximum of 10 shots in a single burst.*
Turn Your Memories into a Highlights Reel.
720p Movie Digest
With the PowerShot SX240 HS digital camera, capturing trips and special occasions with a high-quality video "highlights reel" is as easy as switching on the Movie Digest feature. When activated, the feature automatically records the four seconds before each still shot as video, then auto-edits them into a short movie. Played back together, the video clips capture the mood and ambiance of special days in a way that’s completely different from still images, both documenting the creation of still images and providing a unique stand-alone memory preserver. New with the PowerShot SX240 HS, the video is captured in 720p high definition so that it looks smooth and beautifully detailed when played back on your HDTV. With bundled software ImageBrowser EX, you can easily delete any scenes you don't want.
- PowerShot SX240HS Body (Black)
- Battery Pack NB-6L
- Battery Charger CB-2LY
- Wrist Strap WS-DC11
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM
- Limited Warranty