Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Black Body w/ 14mm f/2.5 Lens
Please Note: Attached lens not included.
Superb Image Quality and Performance
Combined with a Premium Design
The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1 digital camera exhibits all the hallmarks of a Micro Four Thirds camera - a compact body (thanks to its mirrorless design), stellar resolution with the 16.0MP Live MOS Sensor, and multiple lens compatibility with LUMIX G and Leica DG lenses. Additionally, the Venus Engine provides for fast processing of files, noise reduction, and smooth operation of the camera's many modes. The GX1 also boasts a sleek design with easy to operate dials and buttons.
- 16MP Resolution
- 3.0" Touchscreen LCD
- Micro-Four-Thirds Mount
- Built-In Flash, Hot Shoe and Mode Dial
- Lumix LightSpeed Focusing
- 1080/60i HD Video Capture
- Movie iA and Creative Movie
- High Grade Body
- Ultra-High-Speed 0.09 Second AF
- Super O.I.S.
Basic Principle of LUMIX G Image Quality
Create high-quality photo images with true-to-life details with excellent resolution, image rendering and colour reproduction.
- High-grade lens and precision AF: Natural and high resolution images with digital dedicated lenses and high-speed and precise contrast AF.
- Inheriting the Leica philosophy: High resolution (MTF); No distortion; No ghosts or flaring.
- Optimal balance of resolution and noise reduction for life-like rendering: Natural and life-like images from low to high sensitivity setting, with intelligent NR control.
- High precision AE and WB with Live Light Metering for faithful colour reproduction: Optimal exposure and accurate white balance from low to high contrast, with Live TTL direct metering.
16.0MP Live MOS Sensor
The 16.0MP Live MOS sensor plays a big role in high quality image rendering. With the dedicated circuit, which reads out signals with minimum noise, the level of noise is significantly suppressed by more than 66%. In shooting at high ISO setting, S/N (Signal-to-Noise) value is improved by approx. 200% compared with the conventional 12.1 megapixel sensor. The sensor performance improves by 6db at ISO 3200 and max. 9db at ISO 6400, resulting in the dramatically flawless image without noise.
High-Sensitivity Shooting Up to ISO 12800
Taking full advantage of the Live MOS sensor and Venus Engine, images can shot in low-lit situations at with clarity and quality. The 12800 high ISO sensitivity setting is stunningly clear with sharp resolution.
In addition to the high-speed signal processing, thanks to the 3 CPUs, the image processor Venus Engine boasts its excellent performance with an adoption of noise reduction technology for an even higher quality image. By separating chromatic noise from luminance noise even more accurately by applying the optimal noise reduction to each, you can capture clear and beautiful images even when shooting at high ISO sensitivity levels.
Micro Four Thirds System Standard
By adopting the Micro Four Thirds System standard, the DMC-GX1 features a mirrorless structure that eliminates the mirror box and optical viewfinder unit. This carefully preserves the image quality while maintaining a compact profile, and provides you with even higher levels of performance in a digital interchangeable lens system camera.
LUMIX G / Leica DG Lenses
The main appeal of an interchangeable lens system camera is the ability to achieve a wider range of expression by changing the lens. The DMC-GX1 lets you use the versatile lineup of Micro Four Thirds System standard lenses, including the LUMIX G / Leica DG lenses.
Intelligent D-range Control
The Intelligent D-range Control offers even more natural looking images by optimizing the exposure for each part of a photo, preventing blocked shadows and blown highlights and helping ensure that gradation and details are reproduced beautifully, including the blue colour of the sky. An automatic backlight compensation function is activated whenever the camera detects the subject in backlight.
Intelligent Resolution Technology
With the Intelligent Resolution technology, 3 areas - outlines, detailed texture areas, and soft gradation areas - are automatically detected. Apart from the uniform enhancement of sharpness, the innovative technology, Intelligent Resolution precisely performs signal processing pixel by pixel in the most effective way for a particular area. As a result images are naturally clear and crisp in both photo and video recording.
Sophisticated Design, Functional Beauty
- One: Panasonic crafted a mode dial that is supremely easy to grip and turn. Additionally, the characters are laser printed, making them easy to see and able to stand up to the test of time.
- Two: The ergonomically designed grip fits the DMC-GX1's flat profile, yet is easy to hold. Its tactile feel offers the shooter comfort thanks to its resin construction
- Three: Optimum layout of control buttons and the mode dial, turn-and-press dial, and dedicated function buttons make the operation of the DMC-GX1 smooth and easy
Thoughtfully Designed Camera
As a camera from the premium GX line of the LUMIX G Micro System, the external design of the camera has been developed with no compromising in any detail. Available in silver and black, the DMC-GX1 offers luxurious comfort for the shooting experience with stunning performance and a host of functions.
The Level Gauge lets the camera detect the horizontal / vertical angle of view with its internal level, which works with the acceleration sensor. Photos shot in a portrait aspect will be automatically displayed vertically no matter which lens is used.
Built-In Flash (GN7.6 Equivalent)
In spite of its compact size, the DMC-GX1's built-in flash has a light intensity that is equivalent to GN7.6, and you can adjust the intensity within a range of +/-EV 2 in 1/3 EV steps. It also lets you use 1st curtain sync. flash and 2nd curtain sync. flash to capture nightscapes with a natural flow of light.
Customization for Comfortable Shooting
Meticulous attention was paid to operating ease when designing the DMC-GX1. The body design allows you to freely customize settings. The DMC-GX1 provides uncompromising performance, and delivers the ultimate in intuitive operation and shooting.
Touch Screen Operation
The DMC-GX1 gives you smooth touch control shooting. When recording, you can operate the auto focus and shutter release at the same time with just a touch. When playing back, you can drag the image across the screen with your finger.
Zoom operation can be controlled with touch when the Power Zoom lens for the LUMIX G Micro System is attached. Speed of zooming can be adjusted in 2 steps.
3.0" High Resolution LCD
The DMC-GX1 has a 3.0" 3:2 460,000 dot LCD with a 100% field of view. Additionally, it has a wide-viewing angle that lets you frame your shot in a variety of ways for both shooting and review. LUMIX's acclaimed Intelligent LCD function also automatically adjusts the brightness in 11 steps, according to shooting conditions. It lets you share the fun of viewing images with family and friends, too.
Double Live View for the LCD and the Optional LVF
Both the LCD and the optional DMW-LVF2 (Live View Finder) give you a Full-time Live View of what you're shooting, with a field of view of approximately 100%. The viewing method can be selected to match your shooting conditions and composition, which makes them ideal for active shooting. You can confirm the depth of field and shutter speed effects by pressing the function button, if you select the preview mode.
Dust Reduction System
If dust or other foreign matter gets inside the camera when you're changing lenses, it could cling to the image sensor and show up as a spot in your photos. The Dust Reduction System in the DMC-GX1 helps eliminate this possibility by placing the Supersonic Wave Filter in front of the Live MOS sensor, between the low-pass filter and shutter. Vibrating vertically around 50,000 times per second, the filter repels dust and other particles effectively.
Flow of the Dust Reduction System:
1. Power off
2. When the camera is turned on, the filter vibrates to shake off dirt and dust
3. The dirt and dust adhere to the absorption part to prevent it from appearing in the sensor image
Extended Battery Life
With further optimization of the electric design, the DMC-GX1 excels in energy consumption and features approximately 11% longer battery life than the DMC-G3, which complies with the same battery pack, yhe DMW-BLD10.
Compatible with UHS-I Standard SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards
The DMC-GX1 is compatible with the UHS-I standard for SDXC/SDHC memory cards, taking advantage of its high-speed data transmission.
0.09 Second Light Speed AF
The DMC-GX1 features 0.09 seconds of Light Speed AF, which is achieved by reducing the detection time for focusing by the synchronization of the lens and the sensor at 120 fps. Not only the accuracy, but also the speed, surpasses high-end digital SLRs with phase-difference AF with the advanced contrast AF system in the DMC-GX1.
High-Precision Contrast AF System
Compared with the phase-difference system AF, the contrast AF of the DMC-GX1 boasts higher accuracy even when shooting at a small F value. The phase-difference AF system is susceptible to mechanical margin of error. However, in the contrast AF system, focusing is controlled by the image sensor so that no mechanical margin of error occurs, resulting in precise focusing.
Full-Are Focusing with Touch AF
The DMC-GX1 incorporates full-area focusing which makes it possible to set focus on any point in the field of view.
A Variety of AF Modes Featuring Pinpoint AF
The contrast AF system gives the DMC-GX1 a variety of AF modes. There's an option that's just right for any shooting situation. With the AF mode button, you can choose the focus mode you want smoothly.
Touch AF in Video Recording
The touch AF in video recording lets you enjoy professional-like rack focusing. Just by pointing at the subject the focus is shifted to it, causing it to be stand out as the center of attention.
The AF/MF mode button lets you quickly change the focus mode (AFS, AFF, AFC) to maintain sharp focus on moving subjects, or while using manual focus.
AFF Focusing Mode
The AFF focus mode (AF Flexible) locks the focus on when the shutter button is half-pressed, however, if the subject moves, the focusing is reset to obtain the best results.
You can enlarge part of the photo by just a touch to select 1x, 4x, 5x or 10x and smoothly move it by dragging it on the screen. The 4x enlarged view is displayed on the framing screen making it possible to set fine focus while composing the whole picture at the same time.
The ordinary AF is activated when the shutter button is pressed half-way, while the Quick AF starts operating as soon as the camera is pointed toward a subject. This dramatically reduces the shutter delay time and lets you take images quickly.
The AF+MF function provides more efficient, more precise focusing. After focusing with AF, simply turn the focus ring manually for even finer control.
High-Speed Consecutive Shooting
The Live MOS sensor helps to realize high speed burst shooting. You can take a series of shots, then choose the ones you like the best and delete the rest.
4.2 fps with 16.0MP High-Resolution
The DMC-GX1 can fire off up to 4.2 fps in full 16.0 megapixel resolution with its mechanical shutter. Great for capturing fast subject motion, such as sports scenes or birds in flight.
20 fps with 4MP Resolution
Even higher-speed burst shooting is possible with the DMC-GX1 when the electronic shutter is used - 20 fps at 4-megapixel resolution. Great for capturing race cars and other subjects that are difficult to capture with the naked eye.
1920 x 1080 Full HD Video
The DMC-GX1 is an advanced photographic tool for recording not only great photos but also beautiful full HD 1,920 x 1,080 videos in AVCHD (MPEG-4 / H.264) format. The AVCHD format features almost twice the recording time in HD quality than the conventional Motion JPEG and excels in the compatibility with AV devices like HDTVs or Blu-ray Disc players.
MP4 Format Recording
The DMC-GX1 can record videos in MP4 format. This format is suitable for editing videos on a computer or uploading those to websites. Resolution can be selected among 1,920 x 1,080 (20Mbps), 1,280 x 720 (10Mbps), and 640 x 480 (4Mbps), all at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL).
Still Image Recording in Video Recording with 11.5Mp High Resolution
While shooting an HD video simply press / touch the shutter button and the camera will shoot a photo with 11.5 megapixel high resolution as it continues to record your video. This makes sure that you don't miss those decisive moments with either photos or videos, or both.
Still Picture Priorities
- Images will be recorded with the set picture size and quality.
- Up to 8 still images can be recorded in the video recording mode.
- The screen will go dark while recording images. A still image will be recorded in the video during that period, and audio is not recorded.
- Images will be recorded with a picture size of [S] (2Mp).
- Up to 30 still images can be recorded in video recording.
- Only JPEG images are recorded when quality is set to RAW+Fine, RAW+Standard or RAW. (When set to RAW still images will be recorded in Fine quality).
High Quality Sound: The Power of Dolby Digital Stereo Creator
A stereo microphone, featuring Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, on the upper body records dynamic, true-to-life stereo audio that brings out the power of your HD video.
Mic Level Adjustment
The DMC-GX1 lets you adjust the audio input level in four steps.
The Wind Cut function is available to block out most of the noise from background wind. This gives you higher quality sound when taking images on breezy days.
Touch AF in Video Recording
Touch AF in video recording also lets you enjoy professional-like rack focusing. Just by pointing at the subject the focus is shifted to it, causing the subject to stand out.
Creative Control and Photo Style
You can use the Creative Control and Photo Style functions for shooting videos. They render highly unique expressions by matching the colours to your subject and surrounding. In Miniature Effect mode the video recorded is played back in 10x fast-forwarding, making it more comical to watch.
iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode
Even video beginners can record excellent videos with the DMC-GX1 because the iA (Intelligent Auto) mode is also available for video recording.
You can divide a single video into two parts using only the camera. This is handy for compiling memorable scenes, and deleting unwanted scenes to free up space on your memory card while you are traveling.
The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 HD Edition and LoiLoScope (trial version), which are well suited for playing and editing videos, come bundled with the DMC-GX1. The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 HD Edition lets you sort and organize images with quick start-up and image loading. Video clips can be uploaded directly to YouTube. Additionally, the LoiloScope lets you experience high-speed HD video editing.
Photos or videos recorded in AVCHD on the SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards are easy to view on a Panasonic VIERA TV. Simply insert the card into the VIERA Image Viewer (SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card slot) on VIERA TV or DIGA Blu-ray Disc player to playback your content. Alternatively, you can use an optional HDMI mini cable to output photos and videos you took from the DMC-GX1 directly to the TV for VIERA Link. Most of the control is possible by using only the TV's remote control.
The Creative Control lets you enjoy making your images more expressive. In addition, the DMC-GX1's Creative Control mode enables you to adjust the effect and defocusing area just by moving the slider with your finger.
Touch Defocus Control
In the iA Plus mode and the Creative Control mode the range of defocus can be adjusted by just moving the slider with your finger.
You can manually choose from 6 colour types to get even more detailed image settings, or to match the shooting situation. In addition, the contrast, sharpness, saturation or noise reduction for each mode parameter can be customized in 5 steps and stored in memory. In Custom Mode, finely customized settings can be stored for easy recall and use.
Colour types include: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, and Portrait.
Expandability with Optional Accessories Featuring the LVF (Live View Finder)
You can equip the DMC-GX1 with an optional 1,440,000-dot equivalent Live View Finder (LVF) DMW-LVF2 featuring a magnification of approximately 1.4x (0.7x) and 100% field of view. Because it displays the same information as the LCD, it is effectively used in situations where the LCD is difficult to see, such as under bright sunlight. The LVF is also handy for low-angle shots because it can be tilted vertically from 0 to 90 degrees.
Scene Mode Featuring Peripheral Defocus Mode
The Scene Mode function lets the camera make the optimal settings for you automatically, so anybody can take superb photos and videos with ease. The Peripheral Defocus Mode for still images automatically adjusts the focus to match the AF area you positioned while gently defocusing the foreground and background to emphasize the subject.
Select from 4 Aspect Ratios
The DMC-GX1 lets you shoot in aspect ratios of 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 mode. The 1:1 mode gives you unique, square-shaped photos. Being able to match the aspect ratio to your subject and shooting intent gives you even greater expression.
The shading function on the DMC-GX1 corrects vignetting to give you clear images with uniform brightness overall.
Extra Tele Conversion Function
The Extra Tele Conversion function virtually extends the zoom range when recording images not in the full-size. So you can take telephoto shots even with lenses that don't normally allow zooming.
RAW Format Compatibility
You can get original image data, recording the image directly from the Live MOS sensor without any image processing. The SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.1 SE software utility lets you develop RAW data files. For example, you can develop RAW data to create an image with the effect you were trying to capture when you took the shot. You get high-level basic image processing abilities that give you control over such things as unnatural edges from saturated colour borders, false colours in structures with intricate detail, and chromatic noise in photos taken at high sensitivity settings. This utility provides a unique combination of high resolution and extraordinary colour separation performance. In addition, the DMC-GX1 allows consecutive shots to be taken at up to 9 fps in RAW format. Shooting continues even while the image data is being stored in memory.
Detailed Setting Functions
Full-time Live View on the DMC-GX1 lets anybody use its easy-to-understand and detailed setting functions. Setting functions include:
- Exposure Meter Guide: The One Push AE adjusts exposure with a single press of the Fn (Function) button when it is over/under exposure. It is especially useful for shooting outdoors with an open aperture or indoors with a fast shutter speed
- Finely Detailed White Balance Setting: The DMC-GX1's 2-axis adjustment feature gives you a finer white balance adjustment for Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, Incandescent, or Flash conditions. It can also be used when adjusting the colour Temperature Setting or White Set function. You can adjust with a reference to the horizontal axis for amber to blue and the vertical axis for green to magenta. You can recall the adjustment conditions quickly by pressing the WB button
- White Balance Bracket: The white balance bracket function shots 3 consecutive photos with slight changes to the white balance setting of each photo in both the horizontal (amber to blue) and vertical (green to magenta) axis, by simply pressing the shutter once
- Auto Bracket: The Auto Bracket function records several photos at varied exposure levels in a compensation range of +/- EV 3 in 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, or 1 EV steps. The DMC-GX1 will record up to 7 images with a single press of the shutter button
- Movable Guide Lines: With the DMC-GX1 you can move the guide lines according to the subject's position. This is handy when you want to take extra care in framing, especially when using a tripod
- Movable Histogram: The histogram display makes it possible to check exposure and contrast in real-time. With the DMC-GX1, you can freely move the histogram to a position where it will not block the subject on the screen
- Exposure Compensation +/-5 EV: You can adjust the exposure compensation within a range of +/- EV 5 in 1/3 EV steps. In P/A/S modes you can retrieve the exposure compensation value and manually adjust it directly
- Long Shutter Noise Reduction: The camera automatically removes noise generated when taking photos at slow shutter speeds, such as nighttime shooting, always giving you beautiful images
- ISO Limit Setting: The maximum sensitivity setting is applied to the Intelligent ISO Control and ISO AUTO functions. This ensures that you'll get the level of image quality you want by letting you set your own limit for ISO sensitivity
- ISO Sensitivity Setting: You can set the ISO sensitivity to Auto, Intelligent ISO, 160, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 or 12800. When the ISO sensitivity step is set to 1/3 EV the number of ISO sensitivity setting options increases, allowing you to make fine adjustments and achieve the level of image quality you want
iA (Intelligent Auto) Plus
In the iA mode, the camera does all the work, leaving you free to compose your shot and capture the moment. You just press, aim and shoot. Once you've selected the iA Mode, the detection and correction functions go to work to give you beautiful photos and videos with maximum ease. In addition, the iA Plus Mode enables you to adjust the defocusing area, exposure compensation, and white balance by simply moving the slider with your finger.
Useful, Convenient Shooting-Assist Functions
- Shake Detection - Power O.I.S. / MEGA O.I.S.: The POWER O.I.S. and MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) that's built into Micro Four Thirds lenses detect and compensate for blurring caused by hand-shake, so you can get sharp, clear shots every time you shoot
- Face Recognition: The Face Recognition function remembers faces that have been registered in the camera and provides the faces with optimal focus and exposure
- Face Detection - Face Detection AF/AE: The Face Detection function detects faces anywhere in the frame and automatically chooses the optimal focus and exposure. The Face Detection also features the Digital Red-eye Correction (Red-eye Removal)
- Subject Detection - AF Tracking: Once you focus on your subject, the AF Tracking automatically and continuously tracks it and keeps it in focus and properly exposed.
- Motion Detection - Intelligent ISO Control: The Intelligent ISO Control function detects subject movement and automatically adjusts the ISO setting and shutter speed to best suit light conditions and movement
- Scene Detection - Intelligent Scene Selector: The Intelligent Scene Selector senses the ambient conditions and automatically selects any of the Scenery, Portrait, Macro, Night Portrait, Night Scenery, or Sunset modes accordingly
- Touch Screen Operation: Once the subject is touched, the camera judges the optional settings and automatically switches to the appropriate shooting mode
- Light Detection - Intelligent D-range Control: The Intelligent D-range Control offers natural looking images by optimizing the exposure for each part of an image, preventing blocked shadows and blown highlights and helping ensure that gradation and details are reproduced beautifully including the blue sky
- Intelligent Resolution Technology: Apart from the uniform enhancement of sharpness, the innovative technology Intelligent Resolution precisely performs signal processing pixel by pixel in the most effective way according to the area. As a result, images are naturally clear and crisp
Optional 3D Shooting
The compact, optional 3D-capable interchangeable lens, LUMIX G 12.5mm/F12 allows easier handling and instant 3D shooting with cameras without a special structure for 3D shooting. It produces 3D images without distortion or time lag between left and right images, even for moving objects. The 3D images, even close-up shots, taken with this lens are easy on the eyes when viewed on VIERA 3D TVs.
3D Image Viewer / VIEWER Link
Photos or videos recorded in AVCHD on the SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards are easy to view on a Panasonic VIERA TV. Simply insert the card into the VIERA Image Viewer (SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot) on an optional VIERA TV or DIGA Blu-ray Disc player to review your content. Alternatively, you can use an optional HDMI mini cable to output the photos and videos you took from the DMC-GX1 directly to the TV for VIERA Link. Most of the control is possible using only the TV's remote control.
PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 HD Edition
The PHOTOfunSTUDIO 7.0 HD Edition makes it possible to sort and organize photos - not only those that were newly taken, but also those stored in your computer - with quick start-up and fast read-in of images. The Face Recognition function that recognizes the faces in the picture automatically sorts the photos by the registered faces.
You can also enjoy slideshows with a variety of effects and use your iTunes music library for background music - burning it onto a DVD disc in MPEG2. It is easy to create an edited short video just by selecting the photos and video clips you like with Short Movie Story function. Photos and videos can be uploaded to Facebook or YouTube via the same interface.
SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.1 SE
The DMC-GX1 records original image data in the RAW file format, which allows images to be developed according to your liking. A number of highly advanced functions can be applied to these RAW images by using the SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.1 SE software utility, with its unique combination of high resolution and extraordinary colour separation performance.
LoiLoScope (Trial Version)
You can easily edit, convert and manage videos that you took in AVCHD format. There are many effects to choose from. This helps to create the kind of videos you want!
Just press the playback button on the camera back to switch the DMC-GX1 to playback mode. You can enjoy crisp, clear images on the 3.0", 460,000 dot LCD. Images are bright and easy to see, even outdoors on a sunny day. Along with the ordinary playback screen, there is a variety of information screens. You can also mark images as favorites and keep them protected so they don't get accidentally erased.
Still Image Scene Modes: Portrait, Soft Skin, Scenery, Architecture, Sports, Peripheral Defocus, Flower, Food, Objects, Night Portrait, Night Scenery, Illuminations, Baby 1, Baby 2, Pet, Party, Sunset
Video Scene Mode: Portrait, Soft Skin, Scenery, Architecture, Sports, Flower, Food, Objects, Lowlight, Party, Sunset
English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Dutch, Thai, Korean, Turkish, Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Vietnamese
(Still image and Motion image) Expressive, Retro, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, High Dynamic, Toy Effect, Miniature Effect
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Digital Camera (Black)
- Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Lens (Black)
- Battery Pack
- Battery Charger
- Body Cap
- Lens Caps
- Rear Lens Caps
- USB Cable
- Shoulder Strap
- Hot Shoe Cap
- Owner's Manual
- CD-ROM of Software
- Limited Warranty