Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM AVCHD Camcorder
The new HXR-NX5U camcorder is the first product of the NXCAM generation from Sony, and a new category of tapeless memory camcorder, providing an ideal balance of power and performance in the digital age.
Utilizing the revolutionary AVCHD format, this camcorder offers long duration recording – with dual memory slots – on affordable consumer memory cards. As it facilitates a totally IT-based workflow, the HXR-NX5U has the potential to profoundly change the way content is created. Simultaneous hybrid recording is available in HD(High Definition) and SD(Standard Definition) formats using an optional HXR-FMU128 memory unit.
In any format, breathtaking picture quality is assured with proven features from Sony such as a state-of-the-art "G Lens" and three Exmor CMOS sensors with a ClearVid array. Professionals around the world expect this standard of picture quality from Sony…and accept nothing less.
Advanced Camera Features
Sony-exclusive High-performance “G Lens”
The "G Lens" provides great picture quality and versatility with a wide angle of 29.5 mm (equivalent to 35 mm film) and a 20x high quality zoom. Two ED (extra-low dispersion) glass elements reduce chromatic aberrations caused by differences in light refraction to minimize color fringing. The advanced 10-group, 15-element lens structure also includes a compound aspheric lens for images that are crisp and clear, even when shooting videos at a high zooming ratio.
Other Superb Features of the Optical System
Natural-touch Lens Operation
The focus, zoom and iris ring are positioned on the lens barrel, and this design offers the same operability as general interchangeable lenses. Focus, zoom and iris control can all be managed easily.
The six-blade iris diaphragm is nearly circular, enabling the creation of an extremely beautiful background blur.
Built-in ND filters
The HXR-NX5U is equipped with three built-in ND (Neutral Density) filters – 1/4, 1/16, 1/64 – which help to vary the depth of field with iris control.
Three 1/3” Exmor™ CMOS Sensors – Beyond the Codec
The three state-of-the-art 1/3” "Exmor" CMOS sensors with a ClearVid array ensure high resolution, high sensitivity, a wide dynamic range, and excellent color reproduction. The quality of this imaging system has earned an excellent reputation in the industry, and is of course fully realized in the new HXR-NX5U.
"Exmor" Technology Noise Reduction System
Multiple A/D (analog-to-digital) converters on each pixel row convert analog signals to digital as soon as they are generated, unlike traditional technology that only provides one A/D converter on each chip. "Exmor" technology can eliminate the influence of external noise that enters the signal chain during transfer to the A/D converter, resulting in high-quality digital signals with extremely low noise. This significantly enhances shooting in low-light environments with a sensitivity of just 1.5 lux.*
* At 1/30 shutter, auto iris, and auto gain.
Higher Sensitivity and Resolution with Sophisticated Techniques
CMOS sensors equipped with a ClearVid array achieve a bigger sensor pixel size than ordinary image sensors, and this leads to higher sensitivity. Furthermore, a unique interpolation technique from Sony utilizes the 45-degree rotated pixels on each chip, increasing resolution. The powerful combination of these two sophisticated techniques explains why Sony picture quality has such an excellent industry reputation.
Location Simplification with Cutting-edge GPS Technology
The HXR-NX5U is the world’s first AVCHD professional camcorder with an internal GPS. This important new feature enables users to find the same shooting location when, for example, they need to revisit a location for extra shots that must match existing footage. GPS data is embedded in AVCHD video data files. Mapping data can be created using bundled Content Management Utility software. Also GPS data can be extracted from video files, using Content Management Utility software, in a commonly used latitude/longitude NMEA data format. This GPS information can be used in several applications.
Shoot and Walk with the New Active SteadyShot
A new feature of the HXR-NX5U is Active SteadyShot. This useful feature effectively reduces hand-held camera shake. The improvement is particularly noticeable when using wide-angle framing. It is an essential feature when holding the camcorder by hand, and especially for projects that are recorded mainly in the field. It is also ideal when the subject is moving and must be followed, for example in news gathering or at weddings. Shooting from inside a moving vehicle is another useful application for the Active SteadyShot feature. It significantly reduces the need for external stabilization systems. Improved stabilization allows the user to concentrate more on composition and shot transition, rather than worry about how to stabilize the camera. Depending on the shooting environment, users can select normal SteadyShot or Active SteadyShot for hand-held applications. When not in use, the stabilization feature can be easily switched off.
Memory Recording for Professionals
Efficiency and Operability on Readily Available Memory Cards
The HXR-NX5U is also the first Sony professional camcorder designed to record directly onto consumer memory cards. These cards are affordable and easy to find. This general versatility is especially handy when a user suddenly needs extra memory – something that happens quite often when shooting a documentary or news report on the move. Also, memory cards are very compact and easy to handle. Many devices can accept these memory cards allowing easy playback. Files can be copied from a memory card to any available computer, instantly backing up valuable data. Another benefit is that memory cards can be easily and cost-effectively reused.
Relay Record with Dual Memory Slots
Another new feature is continuous recording between two memory card slots. The new HXR-NX5U camcorder automatically cycles between the dual memory slots. When using two, 32-GB memory cards, six hours of continuous HD footage can be recorded. If a longer continuous recording time is required, the user simply waits until the first card is full and recording has relayed to the second card, before ejecting the first card and inserting a new blank memory card. This procedure can be repeated as required, extending continuous recording for a sufficiently long time.
Three Major Advantages of Memory Recording
- Easy Viewing of Recorded Footage
The major benefit of this memory recording system is its instant search capability for recorded clips using thumbnail images. This speeds up logging and editing work, which is ideal in fast-paced environments. Having the ability to access clips randomly will make production staff much happier and far more efficient.
- Fast Ingestion to Computer
Users can simply pop out a memory card and plug it into any computer’s memory card reader slot (or use a USB2.0-type memory card reader) to upload files. This is likely to take less time than the actual length of recorded footage, so more time can be spent shooting. Users are secure in the knowledge that editing deadlines will be met, thanks to this efficient new approach to digital video production.
*The uploading time will depend on the computer's specification
- Easy Playback
Affordable consumer memory media are already used in many consumer electronic devices, and more are to come. Recorded footage can be instantly played back using these devices.
Recording Time on a single memory media
Hybrid Video Footage Recording Capability
Recording Format and Editing Workflow
The Revolutionary AVCHD Format
AVCHD is an efficient data compression method which greatly reduces memory requirements. The new format allows tapeless recording with high image quality in a small file size. This is made possible by the revolutionary MPEG4 AVC/H.264 codec. In addition, the AVCHD file format is spreading rapidly into the market. Many consumer electronic devices already support AVCHD playback, and there are more to come. Major NLE software already supports AVCHD ingestion and editing. The market is starting to recognize AVCHD as a standard file format for video.
Loss-less Audio Recording Capability
The audio recording format on HXR-NX5U can be selected from either Dolby Digital stereo or Linear PCM stereo. LPCM audio recording provides uncompressed audio quality. Customers who needs high quality audio, such as in music videos will be able to acquire CD quality audio data.
MPEG-2 for SD(Standard Definition) Recording Format
SD format recording is available in addition to HD format recording. The SD recording format uses MPEG-2 which is the same compression codec as standard DVD-VIDEO Discs. Customers who make delivery in DVD-VIDEOs will be able to obtain video data in sufficient SD quality using this format.
Playback and Archiving
Content Management Utility Software for HXR-NX5U
Content Management Utility is an easy to use Microsoft Windows® software application for clip management and file uploading.
- It allows users to connect divided files due to FAT32 restrictions, which automatically divide files into 2-GB data files during recording.
- The new Sony dual memory card relay recording system record clips onto separate cards, if the clip exceeds the capacity of a single memory card. Content Management Utility software also connects clips divided onto several cards made by relay recording.
- Content Management Utility software maps any GPS data embedded in video data
Recording Format and Editing Workflow
For Windows® users
Use Content Management Utility Software to ingest
For Final Cut Pro® Users
Use “Log & Transfer” and convert to ProRes422 to edit
Utilize the SDI or HDMI etc. outputs
Easy Operation with Newly Designed Menu Interface
The completely new menu interface allows users to adjust camcorder functions via a touch panel or buttons and switches. This interface is newly designed specifically for this model. Easier and more straightforward operations are achieved by the combination of a high-resolution XtraFine™ LCD panel, XtraFine™ electronic viewfinder (EVF), and well-defined layout.
VISUAL INDEX Button
The VISUAL INDEX button is a one touch button to view the recorded footage. It will instantly change the camera mode from shooting to previewing. Just touch a thumbnail picture of the recorded clip on the LCD panel to select a clip to preview.
The MENU button will instantly lead you to the camera setting menu. Changing the output settings, display settings, timecode settings can be done through this menu.
Functions to manage the media and recorded data can be reached from this MODE button. Formatting the media and dubbing and copying the data can be done through this menu. Smooth Slow Rec can be triggered from this MODE button.
- XtraFine™ LCD Panel
The HXR-NX5U features a 3.2-inch-type XtraFine™ LCD panel. It has approximately 921,000 pixels (1920 x 480), and this higher resolution allows for easier focus adjustment. The XtraFine™ LCD displays virtually 100% of the recorded picture area at a color temperature of approximately 6500K. The interface has been improved to make it easier to see the on-screen menu.
- Hybrid Operation with Touch Panel and Buttons
The HXR-NX5U is equipped with a touch panel LCD with a complete new interface specifically designed for this new camcorder. Most of settings can be adjusted by touch screen operation, which is easy, straightforward, and instinctive for operators. However, standard operation using buttons and switches is also available, to provide users with choices to suit any shooting situation.
- One-touch Viewing with the Visual Index Button
Thanks to file-based operation, recorded clips can be quickly reviewed by scanning through thumbnail images. This makes it easier and less stressful to search for important clips.
- One-touch Clip-type Microphone Holder
A one-touch clip-type microphone holder makes it easy to attach and remove the microphone for quick storage.
- Well-designed Layout
The ergonomic layout of buttons and switches provides convenient access. Professional user feedback has guided the design processing, making the new HXR-NX5U easy to use.
- Two Screw Holes for Secure Connection
To provide a more secure connection between the camcorder and a tripod plate and other accessories, there are two screw holes in the
camcorder’s base plate.
- XtraFine™ EVF
The 0.45-inch-type XtraFine™ electronic viewfinder (EVF) has approximately 1,227,000 pixels (852 x 3(RGB) x 480). This device has three independent LEDs for Red, Green, and Blue colors. The EVF has a selectable display mode (Color or Black and White mode). It also displays virtually 100% of the recorded picture area at a color temperature of approximately 6500K, and has an improved interface for easier viewing of the on-screen menu.
- Hardware Switch for Headphone Monitor
A high-quality headphone monitor jack allows the user to instantly check the quality of recorded audio. The HXR-NX5U is equipped with a hardware switch so the user can change the output to Channel 1 or Channel 2, or mix both channels together. There is no need to go into the menu to change the headphone output.
- Versatile Terminal Interfaces
1. HD-SDI: The HXR-NX5U is equipped with an HD-SDI* terminal, making i t easier and more convenient to install the camcorder into high end video editing systems. If the system has an HD-SDI input, the camcorder can be connected to the system with a BNC cable. No conversion boxes are needed. The camera through output from the HD-SDI terminal will be uncompressed. Being able to neglect the effect of the codec, this output has the highest picture quality.
*Timecode and audio signals are embedded in the HD-SDI signal.
*SD-SDI is also available.
2. HDMI terminals: The HDMI interface allows easy connection to consumer electronic devices.
3. RCA-pin-type composite and audio outputs terminals
4. Component output with AV/R-out
6. Remote Terminal
7. TC Link: By connecting two camcorders with a standard mini-plug cable, using the TC Link function, timecodes of the twocamcorders can be synchronized.
- "G Lens", the lens featured in other successful Sony camcorders, already enjoys an excellent industry reputation. In the HXR-NX5U, this sophisticated lens is optimized to complement the camcorder’s advanced image sensor and image-processing technology.
- Three "Exmor" CMOS sensors with a ClearVid array comprise a state-of-the-art sensor system from Sony which realizes high resolution, high sensitivity, a wide dynamic range, and excellent color reproduction, regardless of the codec.
- Memory recording on affordable consumer memory cards offers workflow efficiency at both the shooting and editing stages. Combined with hybrid recording, using an optional HXR-FMU128, the user achieves a totally IT-based workflow, with the added bonus of instant data backup.
- A built-in global positioning system (GPS) locator allows satellite navigation data to be recorded directly onto footage for reference or posting on popular internet mapping systems. GPS data can be invaluable when searching for footage or to provide evidence of where and when footage was recorded.
- Active SteadyShot is a new, enhanced image stabilization system that provides a powerful shake-reduction capability, vital for handheld usage. Additional stabilization is provided by the increased optical lens coverage area and by improved detection with state-of-the-art compensation algorithms.
- The revolutionary AVCHD recording format, which utilizes the MPEG-4, AVC/H.264 video codec, allows users to record HD video footage onto random access media. Its intelligent and sophisticated algorithm makes AVCHD a highly efficient compression format ideal for memory recording and IT-based editing.
- HXR-NX5U Digital HD Video Camera Recorder
- AC Adaptor/Charger AC-VL1
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-F770
- Connecting cord DK-415
- Microphone ECM-XM1
- Remote Commander RMT-845
- Component video cable
- A/V connecting cable
- USB cable
- Large eyecup
- Lens hood with lens cover
- Accessory shoe kit
- Lithium Battery CR2025
- Application Software (CD-ROM)