Atomos Ninja-2 Portable HDMI Field Recorder with Hard Case, 2 Batteries and Charger
The Revolutionized Ninja 2
Record | Monitor | Playback+Playout | Ready-to-Edit
Professional media production is all about balancing quality, cost and time. Atomos understands this dynamic and their aim is to redefine the digital recording workflow to maintain the highest recording quality, minimize the time taken to move video from camera to computer and lower the cost of production using affordable, high capacity, high speed media.
The Ninja-2 takes any uncompressed HD or SD source and encodes it in real-time to 10-bit, 4:2:2 Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD at up to 220Mbps. Both are class-leading codecs for production, broadcasting, editing and post-production. Because you are portable, you can record from the ultimate image source, the sensor of the camera.
The Ninja-2 always records in 10-bit, even from an 8-bit source. Colour registries are added for integration into higher bit-depth graphics from CG, animation and special effects. This avoids banding and makes editing and grading, in fact any precision effect, more accurate.
Any HDMI or HD-SDI source...
DSLRs, Decks, Switchers, PC, Mac, iPad & iPhone
Ninja-2 has HDMI In and optional SDI In. Virtually any device transmitting an HDMI or HD/SD-SDI signal is compatible with the Ninja-2, including cameras, decks, switchers, routers, PCs, MAC, tablets and smart phones as well as audio equipment, which make it an indispensable tool for any number of scenarios.
Whether you are a Hollywood DOP needing a high quality review and tagging tool from an Arri, RED, Canon or Sony camera, or an independent filmmaker using a DSLR for end-to-end digital production, the Ninja-2 makes all types of production faster, better and easier, and at very little cost.
Ready to deliver, high-capacity HDD or SSD
No more expensive memory cards!
Ninja-2 frees you from the financial and operational constraints of expensive Flash media (e.g. SxS and P2) and aggressive compression (MPEG-2) by allowing you to use cheap, commodity storage that’s available anywhere. Choose inexpensive 2.5” hard disk drives (spinning disks) for 90% of projects and Flash-based SSDs for rough terrain or high security use. HDDs are now cheaper than tapes! Store them on a shelf or hand them to your client. Modern commodity storage is extremely reliable. A 750GB/5400rpm drive holds up to 16 hours of high quality Apple ProRes® footage.
HDD: Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung, Toshiba
SSD: Intel, OCZ, Cruise
For latest recommended drives visit: www.atomos.com
800x480 screen with 170° viewing and loop play
Focus Peaking, Zebra, False Colour & Blue Only Exposure
The Ninja-2 replaces your current monitor with sharper images, better direct sunlight performance, loop play and professional monitoring tools such as Focus Peaking to help you really nail that shot. Accessories such as Loupe and Sun visors are also available. Combining monitoring with other essential production and post production tasks is just another example of why the Ninja-2 is a Weapon of Smart Production.
Pristine Playback & Playout
SmartLog – Just Mark & Tag
Use your Ninja-2’s 800x480 16:9 screen to navigate through and review your footage, to mark in and out points and input XML tags. Instantly show your material to production colleagues, clients or talent, and check each shot in detail, during or after the shoot – logging their suggestions without leaving the set. Review and edit an entire day’s shoot on-set, or while travelling, with high-quality playback and comprehensive clip logging & navigation controls. Just touch “Play” on the Ninja-2 touchscreen and view your full HD recordings, with up to of 10 hours playback and editing on one battery charge (and don’t forget our patent-pending Continuous Power for unlimited operation in the field).
Instant editing on MAC or PC!
The Ninja-2 seamlessly migrates your productions to the efficient and cost-effective world of file-based workflows. By recording directly to
a production-quality, edit-friendly format, it bypasses the codec in the camera and eliminates the time-consuming capture process completely. The Ninja-2’s tight integration with Apple ProRes means recorded footage is instantly and natively editable in Final Cut, Media Composer, Premiere, EDIUS, Vegas and Lightworks.
Everything you need
Ninja-2 works right out of the box, you can be using it within minutes! Atomos supply everything (except storage media) in a tough professional carry case.
- AtomOS 3.0 - The real power of the Ninja-2 comes from AtomOS, our innovative and intuitive operating system.
- Easy-to-use Touchscreen Operating System - Access all of the Ninja-2’s operations via the fast, responsive touch interface.
- One-touch Navigation - Allows for simple operation – everything is one touch away.
- Audio Input Level Meters + Headphone Line Out Volume - Touch audio meters to adjust 4 channels of audio. 8 channel HDMI audio support coming this summer
- ProRes or Avid Codecs - Select the variety of ProRes® or Avid DNxHD codec you are recording to; Avid DNxHD-220X (10-bit), DNxHD-220 (8-bit), DNxHD-145 (8-bit), DNxHD-36 Proxy (8-bit) + all ProRes® options.
- Timecode - Choose between On board, time of day, record run or auto restart time code modes or utilize external timecode from camera or any source input
- Continuous Power - Atomos Continuous Dual Battery Technology
- Affordable Storage - Infinite affordable 2.5" HDD/SSD storage capability
- Unit Name - Name your Ninja-2 by project or camera. Media drives and recorded files are subsequently named with the unit name upon formatting.
Ninja 2 transforms your video production by:
- Recording from any HDMI or HD-SDI source - DSLRs, Decks, Switcher, PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone
- Eliminating the need for capture cards and wasted time logging and capturing by avoiding the lossy, time consuming capture-to-edit process
- Bypassing the image-degrading compression needed to squeeze HD onto in-camera flash storage like P2, SxS, SDHC etc
- Providing limitless and cheap storage through the use of abundant removable 2 ½ inch laptop hard disks
- Including all accessories in one rugged case - Batteries, Chargers, Disk Caddies and a PC/Mac docking station
- Recording to a high quality editing codec at the camera, in the field: simple.
Control individual, or multiple, Ninja-2 field recorders, in any combination via serial control from a deck, PC, Mac, or iPad/iPhone.
- All functions of the Ninja-2 can be controlled from a separate device, even remotely over the internet.
- Standard deck control functions are available to integrate into existing infrastructure - perfect for custom system design.
- Auto record means that as soon as a signal is detected by the Ninja-2, recording will be started. Perfect for motion sensor recording or fail-safe recording from live feeds.
One Touch Monitoring
Accurately assess focus and exposure with:
- Focus Peaking
- Adjustable Zebra
- False Colour Twin Mode
- Blue Only - Exposure Check
- Control - Adjustments for individual filters
Log in and out points on your footage and tag these clips with keywords such as ‘good shot’, ‘bad shot’ etc. With the Ninja-2 this part of the post production process can now be done on set, or on the move, with Continuous Power. SmartLog operates while in Monitor or Playback mode. It saves time, money and allows fast, collaborative pre-editing prior to final post production.
- Atomos Ninja 2
- Universal Battery Charger 110-240V
- Docking station and Cables
- 2 x Master Caddy Cases
- 2 x Atomos 2600mAh batteries
- Rugged Carry case