Submit a new term and definition
- The part of the spectrum just beyond violet. Ultraviolet light is invisible to the human eye but strongly affects photographic materials.
- Is a reduction in the degree of development. It is usually caused by shortened development time or a decrease in the temperature of the solution. It results in a loss of density and a reduction in image contrast.
- Undercolour removal
- A separation technique in which black ink is used to replace approximately equal amounts of cyan, magenta, and yellow ink in neutral tones, primarily in the shadows, so as to reduce the total ink coverage.
- A condition in which too little light reaches the film, producing a thin negative, a dark slide, or a muddy-looking print.
- A " Monopod," a single-legged camera support that functions in a manner similar to a tripod.
- Unsharp masking
- A process by which the apparent detail of an image is increased; generally accomplished by the input scanner or through computer manipulation.
- A Photoshop file that does not contain an embedded ICC profile. To be used in a colour-managed workflow an untagged image must be resaved in Photoshop (with the Embed profile checkbox selected) or tagged with the assign profile command.
- To improve some aspect of a computer system. Upgrades include the newest versions of software applications, computer models or peripheral devices. Usually, upgrades are denoted by a version number.
- Uniform Resource Locator. A standard addressing scheme used to locate or references file on the Internet. Used in World Wide Web documents to locate other files. A URL gives the type of resources (scheme) being accessed and the path to the file. The syntax used is: Scheme://host.domain;port/path filename.
- Universal serial bus. The USB offers a simplified way to attach peripherals and have them recognized by the computer. USB ports are about 10 times faster than a typical serial connection. These USB ports are usually located in easy to access locations on the computer.
- ( Unsharp Mask ) The term comes from a conventional colour separation camera technique that uses a unsharp photographic mask to increase contrast between light and dark areas of the reproduction and gives the illusion of sharpness.
- UV filter
- Is a filter which is used to absorb ultraviolet (UV) radiation.