- Toronto Special Order
- Ottawa Special Order
- Mississauga Special Order
- Calgary Special Order
- Edmonton Special Order
Digital mixing has revolutionized so much of the live-entertainment production workflow. But one thing that hasn't changed is having to roll out that heavy, cumbersome old analog snake. That is until now! The new S16 Digital Snake from BEHRINGER takes the burden out of connecting your FOH (Front of House) console with the talent. The S16 provides 16 fully programmable, remotely controllable high-end mic preamps plus 8 analog, balanced XLR returns at the stage end, and connects to the FOH via a single CAT5 cable without the need for a dedicated router. KLARK TEKNIK, a longtime industry-leader in the development of high-end digital audio processing, provided the SuperMAC technology that made all of this possible & BEHRINGER made it affordable.
When used as part of a complete X32 system, two S16 Stage Boxes can be cascaded via the built-in AES50 ports, providing connectivity for up to 32 mic/line inputs, 16 balanced outputs and the incredibly-affordable POWERPLAY P-16 Personal Monitoring System, which can feed up to 48 individual monitor mixers. We also included two optical ADAT sockets for connecting channels 1-8 and 9-16 to outboard devices, a convenient USB port for system updates via your PC, plus MIDI I/O for lighting systems and sound module control.
Standalone Snake Mode
Although the S16 was initially designed for use with our flagship X32 digital console, any mixing board with AES50 networking capability can tap into the S16's powerful feature set. So if you happen to work on an analog mixing board occasionally, you could use two pairs of S16 and ADA8000 to form a high-performance, lightweight 16 x 16 digital snake, all on one CAT5 connection, keeping the preamp remote control functionality.
Remotely Controllable Preamps Make Setup a Breeze
Having to run back and forth to FOH, or trying to communicate with a tech on stage tracking down a bad cable or connection, can really put a crimp in the gig. S16's ingenious monitoring / head amp control section allows you to select any one of the 16 inputs, 8 bus outputs or P16 output streams, for immediate line checks. In addition to signal metering at the stage box, you can set individual input channel Gain, apply +48 V phantom power, plus you have the option of listening directly to the input signal via headphones and much more. Once set, all configuration settings can be locked at the console for total system security.
Seamless Integration with P-16 Personal Monitoring System
The ULTRANET port on the S16 lets you connect directly to the BEHRINGER POWERPLAY P16 system, which provides an easy, affordable way to give your musicians and vocalists what they really want--"more me!" P16-M Personal Mixers let each performer take control of what they hear, allowing you to concentrate on providing the audience with the best possible listening experience. Fast and easy to set up, a basic system can be installed and configured in a matter of minutes and the system can be expanded to adapt to changing needs.
KLARK TEKNIK AES50
KLARK TEKNIK SuperMAC (AES50-Compliant) technology gives the S16 its high-capacity digital interconnectivity with ultra-low latency operation, as well as superbly simple deployment and ease of use. KLARK TEKNIK engineers worked hand-in-hand with BEHRINGER product developers to ensure the S16 meets, or exceeds, the requirements of live performance entertainers and their professional audio engineers. Some of the outstanding features are:
- 48 bidirectional audio channels over CAT5 cable (48 kHz)
- 24 bidirectional audio channels over CAT5 cable (96 kHz)
- Single cable duplex interconnection for audio and sample clocks
- Ethernet physical layer audio data transmission
- High channel count and ultra-low deterministic latency
- Accurate phase-aligned clock distribution.
- Comprehensive error detection and management
- Provision for redundant networking
- Minimal configuration ñ total ease of deployment and use
- Ethernet TCP/IP protocol-compatible auxiliary data channel
- Royalty-free implementations available as Xilinx FPGA cores
- OEM modules available from developer partners
- 16 MIDAS-designed, fully programmable mic preamps for audiophile sound quality
- 8 analog, servo-balanced XLR outputs
- AES50 network ports featuring KLARK TEKNIK’s SuperMAC networking capability for ultra-low jitter and latency
- Up to 100 m networking capability via CAT-5e cable (not included)
- Dual AES50 ports for cascading S16 units—no merger or router required
- Precise LED metering plus 7-segment displays for signal control on stage
- Phones output assignable to any of the inputs/outputs for on-stage monitoring
- Connectivity for BEHRINGER's P-16 Personal Monitoring System for In-Ear applications (not included)
- Dual ADAT outputs for use in splitter mode and stand-alone digital multicore applications
- MIDI In/Out for bi-directional communication between FOH console and on-stage MIDI devices
- USB connector for system updates via PC
- "Planet Earth" switching power supply for maximum flexibility (100 - 240 V~), noise-free audio, superior transient response plus low power consumption for energy saving
- "Built like a tank" yet compact, all-steel 2U rack-mount chassis
- High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
- Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany
|Conversion||A/D-D/A conversion: 24-bit @ 44.1 / 48.0 kHz,
(Cirrus Logic A/D CS5368, D/A CS4385): 114 dB dynamic range
|Network||Networked I/O latency (stage-box-in, console processing, stage-box- out): 1.1 ms|
|Connectors||XLR inputs, programmable mic preamps, designed by MIDAS: 16
XLR outputs: 8
Phones outputs, 1/4" TRS: 1 (mono)
AES50 ports, SuperMAC: 2
P16 connector, Ultranet (no power supplied): 1
MIDI inputs / outputs: 1 /1
ADAT Toslink outputs (2x 8 Channel): 2
USB type B, rear panel, for system updates: 1
THD + noise, 20 dB gain, 0 dBu out: < 0.006% A-weighted
Input impedance XLR, unbalanced / balanced: 5 kΩ / 10 kΩ
Non clip maximum input level, XLR: +23 dBu
Phantom power, switchable per input: 48 V
Equivalent input noise level, XLR (input shorted): -128 dBu
CMRR, XLR, @ 20 dB gain (typical): >70 dB
CMRR, XLR, @ 40 dB gain: >80 dB
Frequency range, @ 48 kHz sample rate, 0 dB to -1 dB: 10 Hz to 22 kHz
Dynamic range, analog in to analog out (typical): 106 dB
A/D dynamic range, preamp and converter (typical): 109 dB
D/A dynamic range, converter and output: 108 dB
Cross talk rejection @ 1 kHz, adjacent channels: 100 dB
Output level, XLR, nominal/maximum: +4 dBu / +21 dBu
Output impedance, XLR, unbalanced / balanced: 75 Ω / 75 Ω
Phones output impedance / level: 40 Ω / +25 dBm (mono)
Residual noise level, XLR and TRS: -87 dBu A-weighted
|Display||4-digit, 7-segment, LED|
|Status||Front status LEDs: AES50-A, red/green
HA Locked, red
SN Master, green
Out +16, orange
Out +8, orange
|Meter||Sig, -30 dB, -18 dB, -12 dB, -9 dB, -6 dB, -3 dB, Clip|
|Rear Panel||Splitter mode, orange|
|Power Supply||Switch-mode auto range: 100 to 240 V (50 / 60 Hz)|
|Power Consumption||45 W|
|Dimensions||19 x 8.9 x 3.5" (482 x 225 x 89 mm)|
|Weight||10.4 lb (4.7 kg)|
Questions & Answers
Behringer S16 16X8 I/O Box w/ 16 Remote Controllable MIDAS Preamps, AES50 Networking
Looking for a personal touch? Not sure if you are choosing the right product? Our staff is here to help.
We want to make sure you get the right product for your needs.
Our staff will help you understand the options available so you can be confident in your purchase.
As the country’s leading Professional Imaging retailer, Vistek is in the perfect position to ensure you make the right choice.
Contact us today for a personal touch.