This item is unavailble
This page is here for your reference.
Just wait until you get your hands on it.
Pick it up. Wrap your hand around the rotating Smart Grip. Line up a shot.
You’ll immediately understand why Sony created the PXW-FS5. It’s the next step in Sony’s handheld revolution. Small as it is, the camera delivers uncompromising performance with Sony’s Super35 sensor, 4K onboard recording and wireless streaming. The PXW-FS5.
* Body only, lens pictured not included
Second-generation Smart Grip
Handheld comfort is not simply a matter of weight. It's also a question of balance. Of positive grip with your right hand. Of high-angle, low-angle and in-between shots. That's what made the rotating Smart Grip of Sony's FS7 such a success. And that's why Sony's engineers designed a new version of the Smart Grip for the FS5. To capture every angle, it rotates a full 360°. To enhance your control, it incorporates assignable buttons, an assignable dial and joystick. And to promote ideal front-rear balance, you can attach an industry-standard rosette to use with Sony's FS7 telescoping arm or third-party accessories (rosette, arm and accessories all sold separately).
Grab and Shoot gets a whole lot easier!
Half the weight of the FS7, means tons of mobility.
A handheld camera should be able to get you into tight places. To shoot high and low angles with equal agility. And a handheld camera should function beautifully against your chest, comfortably steadied by your right hand with all the controls at your fingertips. Sony’s extraordinary PXW-FS5 does all of this, and more.
A mere 0.8kg!
If it was a fish, you’d throw it back because it was too small. But for a 4K camera you want to keep it and hold it and use it where you couldn’t use a Super 35 camera before.
The FS5 is a radical re-imagining of the FS7 for unsurpassed on the go shooting in the most demanding of conditions. With a body-only weight less than half the FS7 at 0.8kg, you can shoot almost anywhere. Handheld operation is simply exceptional as the superbly balanced chassis is easily configured to shoot from high to low angles thanks to a flexible, rotatable grip and a LCD viewfinder that can be mounted in no less than nine locations. And as you’d expect from Sony, to provide complete control over lighting in fast moving situations, they invented the first built-in electronic Variable ND Filter for a Super35mm camcorder.
Alpha mount flexibility
Sony’s alpha-mount system offers unsurpassed compatibility with both Sony and third party lenses. The FS5’s E-Mount can take Cinema lenses and SLR lenses with a third party adaptor, as well as Sony’s E-mount and A-mount lenses. So whether buying new alpha lenses, or making use of lenses you’ve already purchased, the FS5 makes it easy.
Handheld 4K at 100Mbps
When quality is everything, make the most of the FS5’s Super 35 Exmor sensor and shoot 100Mbps 4K (3840 x 2160) using Sony's advanced XAVC (Long GOP) recording system. In the future, there will even be the option to record RAW externally (details to be announced). If you need a fast turnaround, switch to Full-HD (1920x1080) recording at up to 60p XAVC 10bit 4:2:2 50Mbps. The FS5 has the flexibility to suit how you need to work, today and tomorrow.
1/128 Built-in Electronic Variable ND Filters
The FS5 is the world's first Super 35mm camcorder with a built-in electronic variable Neutral Density (ND) filter, further expanding the depth of field capability of its large format sensor. Unlike conventional optical ND filters, the electronic ND filter on the FS5 can be controlled from 1/4ND to 1/128ND linearly. This makes the FS5 ideal for fast-moving shoots in changeable environments - there’s no need to change filters as lighting conditions change and variable control makes it easy to keep depth of field under control.
High Frame Rate (HFR) recording
The FS5 offers High Frame Rate (HFR) cache recording at Full HD 10bit 4:2:2 image quality and a frame rate of up to 240 fps. The 8-second cache recording means no more mistimed shots leading to extra takes. It also lets you pick out footage at exactly the point that you want. It is also possible to record 120 fps with up to 16-second cache recording. Higher frame rates of 480 fps and 960 fps are also possible.
4K Super35 Image Sensor
Sony is the world leader* in image sensors. And it shows. The FS5 delivers formidable exposure latitude with 14 stops of dynamic range. And beautiful color. And high sensitivity. And stunning 4K resolution. Of course, the Super35 format also gives you the shallow depth of field so important in cinematic storytelling. And the sensor performs beautifully with Sony’s established S-Log2 and S-Log3 encoding and S-Gamut3.cine mode.
* Sony is the world's No. 1 manufacturer of image sensors for digital cameras and video recorders (based on Sony research from April 2014 to March 2015 that shows Sony has a 50% market share).
4K XAVC™ L Recording on Board
If you want to capture 4K, the camera offers built-in 3840 x 2160 recording. And while the resolution is phenomenal, the bit rates are reasonable. Thanks to Sony's advanced XAVC™ L codec, you can capture 4K at a modest 100 Mbps (maximum). So you're not over-burdening your memory cards, your desktop storage or your network. Of course, the XAVC L codec can also capture beautiful 1080p HD, with rich 4:2:2 color and nuanced 10-bit grayscale - all at an extremely affordable 25, 35 or 50 Mbps.
In the future, there will even be the option to record RAW externally (details to be announced.)
960 fps Super Slow Motion
When you shoot Super Slow Motion, everyday actions take on poetic elegance. You reveal the beauty of a world that’s hidden right before our eyes. The PXW-FS5 takes you there. Operating in burst mode, you can capture 1080p HD at up to 240 fps and up to 960 fps with reduced resolution. Cache recording time varies according to your selected frame rate.
Built-in wireless streaming
Whether you need wireless remote control from an Android® or iOS® device, wireless streaming to a client monitor or wireless file transfers to editorial, the PXW-FS5 is beautifully equipped. RJ-45 Ethernet connector, Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication (NFC) are built in. And the camera streams wirelessly to compatible third-party MPEG TS receivers and computers.
- Super35 Exmor® CMOS image sensor with 14 stops of dynamic range and 8.4 million effective pixels (16:9)
- 360° rotating, detachable Smart Grip (supplied) can be used with industry-standard rosette, Sony’s FS7 telescoping arm and third-party accessories, all sold separately
- Up to 960 fps Super Slow Motion with high sensitivity; burst mode recording at up to 240 fps in HD, 480 fps at reduced resolution and 960 fps at reduced-resolution Center Crop; recording time varies by frame rate
- On-board 4K recording at 3840 x 2160 resolution with Sony's XAVC™ Long codec
- Outboard RAW recording as a future option (details to be announced)
- S-Log3, S-Log2 and S-Gamut3.Cine help retain graceful highlights and extended shadow detail with accurate color reproduction
- 3.5-inch LCD monitor (viewable area, measured diagonally) flexibly adapts to shooting style and angle; mounts on three locations on the handle and six locations on the camera body
- Sony's E-Mount system compatible with E-Mount servo zooms, manual zooms and primes; A-Mount lenses (via Sony's adapters); PL mount lenses (via third-party adapters); and other SLR and rangefinder lenses (via third-party adapters)
- Continuously variable Neutral Density filter, a first in Super35 imaging, enables you to blur the background even in sunlight; also offers conventional presets at 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64 ND
- Clear Image Zoom uses advanced image processing to double the effective focal length of your lens; a 12x zoom effectively becomes 24x
- Center Scan mode captures the center of the image at Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution. Not only does this provide an effective 2x zoom with 35mm glass, but it also enables you to mount 16mm PL lenses via third-party adapters
- Face Detection AF and Focus Magnifier assist in run & gun shooting; help to maintain critical focus, a particular advantage in 4K capture
- XAVC™ Long recording for 4K (3840 x 2160 at up to 30p) and Full HD (1920 x 1080 at up to 60p); advanced encoding technology retains superb picture quality at affordable bit rates (up to 50 Mbps in HD, up to 100 Mbps in 4K); beautiful 4:2:2 color and nuanced 10-bit grayscale in Full HD
- XAVC proxy recording captures frame-accurate lightweight proxy video suitable for faster file transfers and convenient file sharing
- AVCHD® recording for compatibility with legacy editing systems
- Simultaneous/Individual Recording enables you to capture backup recordings on the second media card
- Wireless Android® and iOS® remote control via the free Content Browser Mobile app
- NFC one-touch communication with compatible wireless devices
- Wireless streaming to compatible MPEG TS receivers and computers for convenient, remote image monitoring
- Wireless file transfers of full-resolution assets via Wi-Fi® router to an FTP server
- Wired LAN connection via built-in RJ-45 interface, for more robust network operations
- Multi-Interface Shoe (MI Shoe) supports accessories including Sony's UWP-D11 and D12 wireless mics and HVL-LBPC video light (all sold separately)
- 0.39-inch OLED viewfinder (viewable area, measured diagonally) with large eye cup
- 1/4-inch screw holes on the camera top, bottom and handle accommodate third-party accessories
- BP-U30 rechargeable battery and BC-U1 battery charger included
- Two SD memory card slots with Memory Stick® card capability in Slot A
- Complete interfaces include 3G-SDI, HDMI® jack, two XLR connectors, LANC remote control, USB, MI Shoe, DC input and RJ-45 Lan connector
- Catalyst Browse software included (free download)
Grip Remote x1
LCD viewfinder x1
Accessory shoe kit x1
(accessory shoe x1, accessory shoe plate x1, screws x4
USB cable x1
AC adaptor (AC-UES1230) x1
Wireless remote commander (RMT-845) x1
LCD Protector x1
CD-ROM "Manuals for Solid-State Memory Camcorder" x1
Operating Guide x2
BP-U30 battery pack x1
BC-U1 battery charger x1
With SELP18105G and lens hood (optional), battery pack BP-U30, large eyecup, LCD viewfinder, handle, grip w/o gripbelt
Body only including the projecting parts
With SELP18105G and lens hood[optional], large eyecup, LCD viewfinder, handle, grip w/o grip belt and including the projecting parts
|Power Requirements||DC 14.4V (battery pack)
DC 12.0V (AC adaptor)
|Power Consumption||NTSC Model
Approx. 11.8W (while recording with LCD Off, EVF On when the external device connector is not used.)
Approx. 12.6W (while recording with LCD On, EVF On when the external device connector is used.)
Approx. 11.5W (while recording with LCD Off, EVF On when the external device connector is not used.)
Approx. 12.3W (while recording with LCD On, EVF On when the external device connector is used.)
|Operating Temperature||0°C to 40°C
32°F to 104°F
|Storage Temperature||-20°C to +60°C
-4°F to +140°F
|Battery Operating Time||
With battery pack BP-U90
With battery pack BP-U60
With battery pack BP-U30
|Recording Format (Video)||XAVC QFHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:0 Long profile
XAVC HD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 4:2:2 Long profile
AVCHD : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format compatible
|Recording Format (Audio)||XAVC : Linear PCM 2ch, 24bit, 48kHz
AVCHD : Linear PCM 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz / Dolby Digital 2ch, 16bit, 48kHz
|Recording Frame Rate||
XAVC-L QFHD 100 mode
XAVC-L QFHD 60 mode
XAVC-L HD 50 mode
XAVC-L HD 35 mode
XAVC-L HD 25 mode
AVCHD@LPCM 2ch PS Mode
AVCHD@LPCM 2ch FX Mode
AVCHD@LPCM 2ch FH Mode
AVCHD@LPCM 2ch HQ Mode
|Imaging Device (Type)||"Exmor" Super35 CMOS Sensor|
|Effective Picture Elements||3840 (H) x 2160 (V)|
|Built-in Optical Filters||ND filters
Linear variable ND (1/4ND to 1/128ND)
|ISO Sensitivity||S-Log3 Gamma ISO3200|
|Minimum Illumination||0.16Lux [60i] (IRIS F1.4, GAIN Auto, Shutter Speed 1/24)
0.18Lux [50i] (IRIS F1.4, GAIN Auto, Shutter Speed 1/25)
|Horizontal Rezolution||1000 TV lines or more (1920 x 1080i mode)|
|Shutter Speed||1/8 to 1/10000 sec. (60i)
1/6 to 1/10000 sec. (50i/24p)
|Slow & Quick Motion Function||
[30p]:2160p: Frame rate selectable
[25p]:2160p: Frame rate selectable
[60i]:1080p: Frame rate selectable
[50i]: 1080p: Frame rate selectable
|Super Slow Motion Function||
[60i] Frame rate selectable
[50i] Frame rate selectable
|White Balance||Preset (3200K), Memory A,
|Input / Output|
|Audio Input||XLR-type 3-pin (female) (x2), line/mic/mic +48 V selectable|
|Video Output||Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack
|Audio Output||Integrated into Multi/Micro USB jack|
|SDI Output||BNC type (x1), SD/HD/3G(Level-B) selectable
SMTPE 259M/292M/424M/425M standards
|USB||Multi/Micro USB jack (x1)|
|Headphone Output||Stereo mini mini jack (x1)|
|Built-in Microphone||Omni-directional stereo electret condenser microphone|
|DC Input||DC jack|
|Remote||Stereo mini-minijack (Φ2.5 mm)|
|HDMI Output||HDMI connector (Type A)|
|Wired LAN||LAN Terminal
|Viewfinder||1.0 cm(0.39 type)OLED Approx. 1.44M dots|
|LCD||8.8cm (3.5 type) Approx. 1.56M dots|
Questions & Answers
Sony PXW-FS5 4K Compact Super35 CMOS Sensor XDCAM Camcorder - Body Only
Looking for a personal touch? Not sure if you are choosing the right product? Our staff is here to help.
We want to make sure you get the right product for your needs.
Our staff will help you understand the options available so you can be confident in your purchase.
As the country’s leading Professional Imaging retailer, Vistek is in the perfect position to ensure you make the right choice.
Contact us today for a personal touch.