Rotolight RL48B Ringlite - Creative Kit
The Rotolight RL48 Interview Kit V.2 combines a Rotolight ringlights, a stand, a filter kit, and a belt pouch into a compact lighting solution weighing about 1 lb.
The Rotolight RL48-B LED RingLight Stealth Edition light contains 48 ultra-bright Grade-A LEDs with an 80W equivalent. It can be attached onto camcorders and DSLRs for 4 hours of light without causing shadows or red eye. Weather-resistant, weighing 6 oz, and powered by 3x AA batteries, it can be set up and fully functional within 3 seconds. Batteries are not included.
Rotolight RL48-B LED RingLight Stealth Edition
- Slides onto and firmly stays put on most shotgun mics
- Or, with the use of a Rotolight stand (not included), it can mount onto DSLRs, camcorders, and other equipment via a hot shoe or 1/4" - 20 stud
- Contains a Filter-Holder
- Included with every RingLight are 3 CTO filters and 3 ND filters which adjust colour to 6300K, 5600K, and 4300K and 3200K
- 110° beam angle produces a soft, naturally diffuse wide beam that eliminates shadows and red eye
- Can be accurately dimmed over 1.5 stops with the use of included ND filters
- A 1 stop and a .5 stop combine using two filters, one for each
- A rubberized outer coating reduces reflectivity and acoustic resonance
- Can close in on a subject as close as 1.5"
Rotolight RL48-CFP Colour FX Gel Filter Kit
- Consists of 10 effects gel filters made by Lee Filters. Eight are Colour FX Filters designed for sidelight, backlight, kicker or toplight, and two are Cosmetic Filters for skin tone enhancement
- Colour Effects Filters:
- 020 Medium Amber - for afternoon sunlight, candlelight, and side lighting
- 052 Light Lavender - for general areas and side lights, and for a basic followspot colour as well as a backlight
- 063 Pale Blue - cool front light wash for creating an overcast look for cold weather
- 128 Bright Pink - for backlighting and side lighting; useful for musicals
- 182 Light Red - for theatre and television effect lighting as well as cycloramas
- 712 Bedford Blue - a smoky warm blue for skin tones
- 730 Liberty Green - green for creating mystery and suspense
- 765 Sunlight Yellow - for producing a strong sunlight effect
- Cosmetic Filters:
- 184 Cosmetic Peach - warm highlight or front light; complementary for most skin tones
- 791 Moroccan Frost - smoothes PAR or flood washes of large areas; useful for houselights and interior colour washes
Rotolight RL48 Stand
- Attaches to the RingLight on one end, and onto a camera or other equipment on the other end
- Has a 1/4" - 20 stud that can be attached onto anything that accepts studs
- Included hot shoe adapter screws into the stud of the stand and can then itself be attached onto anything with a hot shoe
- Hot shoe adapter can rotate 360°, and the RingLight can therefore be positioned in various ways
Rotolight RL48 ABP Accessory Belt Pouch
- Holds and protects RingLight, Filter Kit, and Mount Stand for a total weight of less than 1 lb
- Has room to hold and protect a second RingLight
- Contains pocket for smartphone, and space for 6 spare AA batteries and keys
- Equipped with waist belt and easy-fasten closure
This music video for "Storyteller" by UK artist Sam Beeton was lit entirely with a Rotolight Interview Kit. In particular, check out sections such as 1:42-1:47 where you can very clearly see the signature Rotolight ringlight reflection in the artist's eyes.
"[T]his Rotolight interview LED light kit is absolutely gorgeous. It's such a pleasure to see and touch a product that's been put together by people who really care. Everything about it screams class, and the finishing - right down to the integrated gels is just quality. My advice - don't buy another on-camera light until you see a Rotolight for yourself . . . I haven't seen a more pleasing quality of light from any other form of camera-mounted light."
- Philip Nash
World-renowned Photographer; Beauty & Glamour Photographer of the Year - 2010; International Photographer of the Year 2010 Runner Up; Triple Finalist - Wedding Photographer of the Year; Over 40 Gold and Silver International Photography Awards
"Love it... it's absolutely remarkable. Beautifully made, simple.... The Rotolight ring light, with its supplied filters and gels, really boosts your video to professional standards."
- Jonathan Margolis
The Financial Times, "How To Spend It" Magazine - February 19, 2011
"Without knowing how the lights would act with still life, I just tossed them in like I would with normal strobes and I was very impressed with the immediate result. Although the power is a little weak when trying to use higher f/stops, if you can shoot around f/4 or below you can still get all the detail you could want in the shadows, and for my subject, these really beautiful highlights and gradations."
"I had one light on the camera with a 216 tough white over the bulbs and the other on a 30 degree angle to the product with no modifier. Results = excellent. See the photo of the Zippo lighter and judge for yourself. That image has no Photoshop other then a small curve and was taken on a [Canon] 5D MkII with a 24-70mm L series lens. Just add the Rotolights and there you go!"
"All in all, Rotolights seem to be an excellent option if you are looking to have a set of small, lightweight, powerful lights at your disposal. I would use them again for small still life and I would definitely use them if I was doing another macro video or some sort of medium-close-up shot of a person talking. Nice work Rotolight...."
- Justin Taylor, Photographer
"The Rotolight is a fantastic tool for using with the HD video on most [DSLRs] now. It provides a perfect backup when a fill light is needed to iron out any shadows on the face. It works best at close range, so for tight head shots and as an interview light it is perfect. Having two lights with the filters to be able to match the lighting to the ambient light is a great simple feature in a very portable and cool looking package. As far as stills go, If used in it's own right, it's power output is low but can be useful at high ISO's and/or with a very fast lens. Using the light in low light conditions such as a party and dark social occasions or at night outside, certainly helps the autofocus 'see' what you need to see, adding a useful key light on the subject and still provide a great ambient atmosphere. Used in conjunction with flash, means the flash output can be reduced a little so sharp pictures can be obtained while still giving more ambience than just flash with ambient lighting alone. Having it attached to the camera along with the flash gives the user the flexibility to switch between stills and movies easily. This will always be in my kit."
- Stephen Perry, Photographer
(Clients include Kelly Brook, The Prodigy, Jenson Button, Gordon Ramsay, Porsche, and others)
"The Rotolight Kit is versatile, easy to use and very solidly built, and stands as the most complete package in the competitive LED lighting market. For most general purpose, close up Video work it comes highly recommended... Something that deserves special mention is the build and finish quality of all aspects of the Rotolight, especially when compared to other units of equal or greater expense."
"The Rotolight is not just another LED box... [it] offers some significant benefits over such budget products, and even some over more expensive models."
"The Rotolight RL48 is one of the more innovative LED-based lighting product to be launched in recent years."
"The gels are brilliant, and on their own make the Rotolight versatile and budget friendly enough to negate savings you might make on cheaper alternatives - not to mention that very cheap lights aren't usually so well balanced, colour wise."
"Each Rotolight has a rubberized Matte Finish which is satisfying to the touch and feels anything but cheap... and the front mounted on-off switch feels as though it'd take a lifetime of use to break".
- J. G. Harding
Sound On Sound Magazine, October 2010 Issue - USA, UK and European Publications
Dead End Roads from J G Harding on Vimeo.
"My friend and bandmate Sam Russo performs his song, Dead End Roads in his home. I carried-out all audio and visual production myself.
This film supports my review of two products in Sound On Sound's Video Media section, October 2010 @ www.soundonsound.com/videomedia"
Lighting: Rotolight Interview Kit - www.rotolight.com
Grading: Magic Bullet Colorista 2 - www.redgiantsoftware.com
The film was shot using the following camera and lenses:
Revuenon 55mm f1.2
Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f1.4
Chinon 28mm f2.8