The Award-Winning Zacuto EVF
Zacuto has transformed the form factor of DSLR cameras for video with their new EVFs (Electronic Viewfinders). The Zacuto EVF is a 3.2” high resolution monitor that is used in conjunction with all the Z-Finder models. The EVF is compatible with all cameras with an HDMI output including the Panasonic AF-100 and Sony F3. The EVF allows you to operate the DSLR camera - or any camera with an HDMI port - with the most stable and correct form factor for video: with the camera "in-line" to your rod system and your eye in the Z-Finder offset. This is the way all film cameras and ENG video cameras were operated, and Zacuto believes this is the way DSLR cameras should be operated. It will enhance the stability, give you better resolution, allow you to get your eye where it most comfortably needs to be, enable low mode shooting, shorten your camera package, have your EVF in the back of a dolly or crane, detached from the rig for car shots and more. Depending on how you want to shoot depends on where you should position your EVF:
- Handheld - When shooting handheld, Zacuto recommends shooting with the EVF directly on top of the camera via the hotshoe mount. This allows you to look directly down into the EVF.
- Shoulder Mount - When shooting shoulder mounted, Zacuto recommends offsetting the EVF so that you can shorten your camera package and have the camera “in-line” to your rod system. This will enhance the stability.
- Tripod with Extender Viewfinder Mount - When shooting on a tripod or dolly, Zacuto recommends using an extender viewfinder mount. This will allow you to position the viewfinder towards the back of the tripod.
This is a complete EVF. It includes the EVF Snap model and an optical viewfinder, which will snap onto the frame on the monitor. The optical viewfinder contains high quality 2.5x optics with anti-fog shields. The anti-fog is extremely important for reducing fog. It does not have a diopter but will include the Zacuto Z-Finder Extender Frames. The Extender Frames will get the focus close but might not be exact, as you can’t dial it in with a diopter, as you can with Zacuto's Z-Finder Pro models.
Zacuto's EVF 3.2” monitor has higher resolution than DSLR LCD screens. These screens have a resolution of 640×480 on a 3:2 aspect ratio screen. Therefore, you only effectively see the resolution at 640×360 in 16×9. The EVF's resolution is a true 800×480 making the resolution 56% greater than the on-board DSLR camera screens. The Zacuto EVF also has a tighter dot pitch which also improves the quality, allowing you see a much tighter pixel pattern. The EVF also has auto-scaling and uses the entire screen therefore you see no pillar boxing.
All EVFs include a standard hotshoe EVF mount, HDMI cable, rechargeable battery, battery charger, lens cloth and protection case. Additional mounts will be available for purchase; the mount needed will depend on your shooting needs.
- Exposure (Zebras) - Zebra stripes indicate a user settable IRE level; 2 separate levels can be set. For example: one can be set for 55 IRE, which approximates properly exposed skin tone while the other IRE can be set at 100 to indicate pure white and the point just before over exposed signal clipping.
- Focus Assist (Peaking) - Focus Assist enhances edge sharpening making in focus objects stand out. This makes critical focus immediately easier to see.
- Blue Only - Blue only gives you the ability to view the blue channel only. This is a professional feature used while viewing SMPTE color bars for monitor calibration.
- Anamorphic - The anamorphic setting will “un-squeeze” the anamorphic image produced by the anamorphic lens for viewing in the EVF.
- Frame Line - The aspect ratio frame lines included are: 1.33:1 (4×3), 1.66:1 (15×9), 1.78:1 (16×9), 1.85:1 (35mm theatrical), 2.35:1 (Cinemascope) and a “rule of thirds” grid. 4×3, 15×9 and 16×9 will have the option to add action safe markers. The center cross is available with or without all aspect ratio frame lines. Action safe markers will help you see that the critical parts of your image will not be cropped out in broadcast.
- Scaling - Our EVF has the ability to auto scale, manually scale or recall a camera specific or custom preset. The first image is an example of what you would see from the video signal with a Canon 5D with monitors and EVF’s without the auto scaling feature. The second image is the EVF’s auto scaling feature, in which the image is un-squeezed, if necessary and retains the pillar box crop. The third image is a camera specific preset that expands the image and utilizes the entire width and resolution of the display screen. Included are presets for all common DSLR cameras on the market. You can also manually scale the image for a custom aspect or crop and save that setting for future use.
- Battery Level Indicator - You can choose to have the battery level icon on or off. If you choose to have the battery level icon off, the indicator will appear automatically when the battery power reaches 10% remaining.
- USB Firmware Updatable - You have the ability to update your EVF firmware via a USB port located on the bottom of the unit
- Assignable Function Buttons – 3 assignable buttons plus a menu button located on the left side of the EVF that you can program with your favorite functions.
- Live Menu Preview – While changing menu items, you will see a live preview of the changes.
- HDMI Standard Ports – 2 Standard HDMI ports are located on the right side of the EVF for loop through to another monitor or device
- Complete EVF with Anti-fog
- 3.2" Monitor
- HDMI Cable
- Rechargeable Battery
- Battery Charger
- Hotshoe EVF Mount
- 1/4 20" Mounting Thread (1)
|Size||3.2" TFT LCD IPS LED|
|Resolution||800 x 480|
|Viewing Angle||H: 170 degrees V: 170 degrees|
|View Area||70.6mm (H) x 42.8mm (V)|
|VIDEO INPUT / OUTPUT|
|Power||Battery: 7.2V Canon LP-E6 or equivalent
External: 12V Power adapter (optional)
|Operating Temperature||-4 F to 158 F/-20 C to 70 C|
|Storage Temperature||-22 F to 176 F/-30 C to 80 C|
|Power Consumption||2.5W (5.2 hours w/ 1800mAH battery)|
|Dimensions||Not specified by manufacturer|
|Weight||Not specified by manufacturer|