- Available in Toronto
- Toronto In Stock
- Ottawa Available for Order
- Mississauga Available for Order
- Calgary Available for Order
- Edmonton Available for Order
* Actual product may vary from image
Sharper corners, less distortion, reduced vignetting
New optical design: advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass to achieve extraordinary optical performance with improved corner sharpness, distortion and reduced vignetting.
Like the revolutionary original Metabones Speed Booster announced in January 2013, the Speed Booster ULTRA has a magnification of 0.71x, and so it effectively reduces the crop factor of mirrorless cameras with DX-sized sensors, such as Sony E-mount and Fuji X-mount cameras, from 1.5x to 1.07x. However, the new ULTRA design makes very effective use of exotic materials at the furthest limit of glassmaking technology, and as a result is well corrected for use with virtually all fullframe SLR lenses regardless of exit pupil distance. Thus, the Speed Booster ULTRA performs extremely well with professional-grade f/2.8 zoom lenses such as the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zooms by Canon and Nikon to produce 17-50mm f/2.0 and 50-142mm f/2.0 high-speed zooms, respectively. Similarly, high-speed fixed focal length lenses such as a 50mm f/1.2 will be transformed into a 35.5mm f/0.9 lens with excellent contrast and resolution from the center all the way to the edges of the image.
- Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass by Caldwell Photographic in the USA (patent pending).
- New positive-lock EF lens mount. (Patent pending).
- Store EXIF data (lens name, focal length and maximum/minimum aperture) for up to 2 manual lenses in the adapter.
- AF-C tracking during high speed drive at up to 10fps on Sony A9.
- If both your lens supports optical image stabilization (OIS) and your camera supports sensor-shift, in-body image stabilization (IBIS), the choice is yours on which one to use, or have both of them work in harmony.
- Smooth iris support with the latest Canon (2009+), Tamron (SP series 2013+) and Sigma (2016+) lenses.
- Custom function button (called Focus Hold button) assignable to more than 50 functions, such as Aperture Preview and Eye-AF, on A9, A7 series, A6500 and A6300.
- Dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS) on Sony cameras eqipped with SteadyShot INSIDE.
- Compatible with Sony FS7 Mark II camera.
- Cinema EOS lens (CN-E) support, including power zoom, AF and auto iris.
- Rubber gasket protects E-mount connection from dust and moisture.
- Detachable tripod foot, compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins and Photo Clam ball heads.
- Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.
- Increase MTF.
- Makes lens 0.71x wider.
- Felt material flocked inside to reduce internal reflection.
- Fast contrast-detection AF on all E-mount cameras (except AF-S/DMF with Sony A9).
- Pure phase-detection autofocus support on A9, A7RII, A7II, A6500 and A6300 (the fastest).
- Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7II, A7RII and A7SII. (Distance information from lens required; 3-axis IBIS if lens does not transmit distance information.)
- Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
- LED indicator shows operation mode, OIS (optical image stabilization) activity and communication status.
- Efficient switched-mode power supply.
- Supports image stabilization (IS) lenses.
- Supports electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
- EXIF support (focal length, aperture, lens name)
- Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders, A9, A7 series, A6500 and A6300 (lens with distance information support required).
- Auto magnify (lens with distance information support required)
- Auto "APS-C Size Capture" on full-frame cameras.
- Full-frame lens required. EF-S/DX/DC/Di II lenses are NOT supported.
- Speed Booster ULTRA is designed to cover an APS-C image circle which is not big enough to cover a full-size 36mm x 24mm sensor. On a full frame camera body (A7 series, NEX-VG900) the camera needs to have "APS-C/Super 35mm" set to either "Auto" or "On".
- AF-C is supported on A9, A7RII, A7II, A6500 and A6300 only, and only in Green mode.
- Continuous video AF is functional in Advanced mode, but performance may be unsatisfactory.
- On Sony A9, only phase-detection autofocus is supported. Contrast-detection autofocus does not work. See firmware release notes for details.
- AF may not work if the maximum aperture of the lens plus any EF Extender or other teleconverter attached is smaller than f/8 before boost or smaller than f/5.6 after boost.
- The first two autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully.
- Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.
- Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the design and working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors.
- No support for lens corrections such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion.
- Use of Canon Cinema lenses such as CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 for still photography is not supported. (Functional, but slower than lenses designed for still photography.)
- Some EF-mount lenses may make audible noises during iris changes and autofocus, wich may be picked up by the built-in microphone of the camera during video recording. Use of an external microphone is advised. Some of the recently-introduced Canon-brand lenses are very quiet, however.
- Early Tamron VC lenses such as the AF 28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (model A20), AF 18-270/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO (model B003), SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] (model B005) may not be able to freely switch between OIS and IBIS because they may not report IS activity status. Later Tamron VC lenses equipped with USD or PZD focus motors are fine.
- Some aftermarket battery grips may cause the aperture to change erraneously. This is a bug of the aftermarket battery grip but NOT arising from the Metabones Speed Booster. Turn off the aftermarket battery grip or use a genuine Sony battery grip.
Tested Camera Bodies:
- A9, A7SII, A7RII, A7II, A7S, A7R, A7
- A6500, A6300, A6000, A5000
- PXW-FS7M2, PXW-FS5, PXW-FS7, NEX-FS700, NEX-FS100
- NEX-EA50, NEX-VG900, NEX-VG30, NEX-VG20, NEX-VG10
- NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5R, NEX-5N, NEX-5, NEX-C3, NEX-3
Lens compatibility chart
|Fast AF on all E-mount cameras
(phase detection AF only with Sony A9)
|Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye*
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM*
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM*
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM*
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM*
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM*
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM*
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Canon EF Extender 1.4x III
Canon EF Extender 2x II
Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS Art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD A012*
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A007
Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 Di VC USD F013*
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A009*
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 VC USD A011*
|Tested by the community||Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L USM
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM
Canon EF 35mm f/2L IS USM
Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (non-IS)
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM (Mark I)
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 (Ver I)
Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 OS HSM
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 OS HSM Contemporary
|Phase-detect AF on A9, A7RII, A7II, A6500 and A6300 only, unable to contrast-detect AF accurately if at all||Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 II
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
Contax N Vario Sonnar 17-35mm f/2.8
Contax N Planar 50mm f/1.4
Contax N Vario Sonnar 70-200mm f/3.5-4.5
Contax N Planar 85mm f/1.4
|Manual focus only||Samyang 35/1.4
Zeiss CP.2 25mm/T2.9
Zeiss CP.2 100mm/T2.1
Zeiss ZE Distagon 15/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 21/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 35/2
Zeiss ZE Makro-Planar 50/2
Zeiss ZE Makro-Planar 100/2
|Not supported||Focus confirmation "chip" (e.g. Dandelion)
Tamron 28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO A20 (note 6)
Questions & Answers
Metabones EF to Emount Speed Booster ULTRA Cine Lock 0.71x (Black Matt)
Looking for a personal touch? Not sure if you are choosing the right product? Our staff is here to help.
We want to make sure you get the right product for your needs.
Our staff will help you understand the options available so you can be confident in your purchase.
As the country’s leading Professional Imaging retailer, Vistek is in the perfect position to ensure you make the right choice.
Contact us today for a personal touch.