At Vistek Ltd., we are committed to providing our customers, with exceptional service. As providing this service involves the collection, use and disclosure of some personal information about our customers, protecting your personal information is one of our highest priorities. While we have always respected our customers' privacy and safeguarded their personal information, we have strengthened our commitment to protecting personal information.
We will inform our customers of why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only handle their personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances..
This Personal Information Protection Policy applies to Vistek Ltd. and its subsidiaries, Vistek West (Calgary) Inc. hereafter referred to as Vistek. This policy also applies to any service providers collecting, using or disclosing personal information on behalf of Vistek Ltd. and its subsidiaries.
Personal Information - means information about an identifiable individual such as; name, address, phone numbers, e-mail address, payment cards and credit history. Personal information does not include contact information. Contact information - means information that would enable an individual to be contacted at a place of business and includes name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email or business fax number. Contact information is not covered by this policy or PIPEDA.
1) Accountability: All Vistek employees are responsible for maintaining and protecting all Personal Information under their control. Vistek has designated a Privacy Committee at their Head Office to oversee the company's compliance with PIPEDA and our Privacy Principles.
Vistek Ltd. Head Office
496 Queen Street East
Toronto, Ontario M5A4G8
2) Identifying Purposes: Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the customer voluntarily provides his or her personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
With your permission, we may collect, use and disclose Personal Information about you to
- identify you and communicate with you generally
- process your orders and/or applications for the purchase of product or service
- establish and maintain a relationship with you, and to provide you with ongoing service
- develop an understanding of your needs and eligibility for products and services
- administer contests, rebates and other promotions
- protect you, and us, against error and fraud
- administer merchandise refunds/exchanges
- provide warranties for products and services
- comply with legal requirements
Vistek retains your Personal Information only as long as required for our reasonable business and/or legal needs. Your Personal Information may also be used to create statistics about our business. These statistics would not contain any information that could identify you personally.
For merchandise refunds and exchanges, we may ask that you provide us with your name, address and telephone number for audit and fraud prevention purposes. This information is collected, used and retained to help us ensure that refunds and exchanges are valid (in each case and over time). Valid photo ID may be required to confirm this information and if required we will only "view" the photo ID and we "will not" collect or retain the photo ID information.
Vistek publishes an e-newsletter on new products, reviews, industry news, sale pricing and more. You must subscribe to the Vistek e-news and opt in to receive our newsletter. Once you have a subscription, you can update you profile or unsubscribe at any time. We do not share our subscribers' information with any 3rd party.
3) Concent: Your consent can be express or it may be implied in appropriate circumstances. Express Consent can be given by you in writing, in person, electronically, by telephone, or by using a check-off box.
Implied Consent may be used by us as a basis for extending new marketing offers or delivering merchandise to you. We will not use your implied consent for the use or disclosure of your sensitive Personal Information such as financial data.
4) Limiting Collection: It is always your choice whether or not you provide us with your Personal Information; however, a decision to withhold Personal Information may restrict or prevent us from providing you with a particular product or service. We normally collect Personal Information directly from our customers. We may collect your information from other persons with your consent or as permitted by law.
We inform our customers, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purposes for which we are collecting the information. The only time we do not provide this notification is when a customer volunteers information for an obvious purpose (for example, producing a credit card for a purchase when the information will be used to process payment).
5) Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: Your Personal Information will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which it was collected, unless you have otherwise consented, or when it is required or permitted by law. We will only retain your Personal Information for the period of time required to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected - refer to Identifying Purposes.
6) Accuracy: We are committed to maintaining the accuracy of your Personal Information for as long as it is being used for the purposes we have identified. To help us keep your Personal Information up-to-date, we encourage you to notify us of inaccuracies or corrections as often as you wish. Notification of changes such as your address or telephone number will help us provide you with the best possible service. If you identify any incorrect or outdated information requiring amendment, please contact us.
7) Safeguards: We know you are concerned about the security of the information you provide to us. To address this concern, we have developed processes and procedures to keep your Personal Information safe and secure. We have appropriate safeguards in place depending on the sensitivity of the information, including;
Physical: locked filing cabinets/drawers, Technological: password-protected computers/files and Organizational: Vistek employees are trained in the importance of safeguarding your Personal Information from loss and unauthorized access.
We have taken strong measures to ensure the security of your transactions and the confidentiality of your Personal Information. It is also important that you take all necessary precautions as well to help keep your Personal Information safe and secure at all times. To learn more, you may wish to consult the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada's Web site and any applicable provincial privacy commissioners for more information.
Vistek Website: vistek.ca is owned and operated by Vistek Ltd.
Security: For security of transactions, we use the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol, which encrypts any information you send to us electronically. The encryption process protects your information by scrambling it before it is sent to us from your computer. Once the website receives your transmission, we make commercially reasonable efforts to ensure its security on our system. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, we cannot warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
Password Protection: When you create an online account on our Vistek.ca, you need to select a personal password. To maximize your level of protection, you should choose at least 6 characters including a combination of both letters and numbers. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and any account information. Vistek will never send an unsolicited communication asking you for your password or requesting that you update your account credentials.
Unlawful Activities: We may disclose personal information obtained through our website in order to co-operate with local, provincial, national and international authorities investigating improper or unlawful activities or to report improper or unlawful user activities on this website.
Log Files: We use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer the site, track user's movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to any personally identifiable information.
Links: Our web site contains links to other web sites. Vistek Ltd. Is not responsible for the privacy practices of any other website other than our own. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects Personal Information.
Cookies: As you browse Vistek's website, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partner, AdRoll, then enables us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with Vistek's website. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of AdRoll and their partners' targeted advertising.
You can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Preferences page, and if you want to you can
opt out of interest-based advertising entirely by cookie settings or permanently using a browser plugin.
8) Openness: We have made our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information, readily available on our website at www.vistek.ca and will provide this information to anyone that sends us an inquiry in writing.
9) Individual Access: Upon written request, you may access and verify your Personal Information and find out to whom we have disclosed it. At the time of your request, we will need specific information from you to verify your identity, before we can provide you with the Personal Information we hold. In addition, you must provide sufficient information in your request to allow us to identify the information you are seeking.
There may be instances when we will not be able to provide you with the Personal Information that you request. Examples are if the Personal Information;
- contains references to other persons
- has already been destroyed because we no longer needed it for our purposes
- is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege
- is not subject to disclosure for other legal reasons
If we refuse a request for access to information, in whole or in part, we will provide the reasons for the refusal. We may also refer you to your federal or provincial privacy commissioner (if applicable) for more information.
10) Challenging Compliance: If you have questions, concerns, or complaints about your privacy or Personal Information, you may contact us at the address listed below. We will inform you of our complaint procedures and will assist you in resolving the situation. If a complaint is found to be justified, appropriate measures will be taken including, if necessary, amending our practices and procedures.
Please write to: Vistek Privacy Committee, 496 Queen St. E. Toronto, ON M5A4G8
December 1, 2014